We have many years' experience of dealing with complex, sensitive, high value and international investigations.
Our Crime, Fraud & Investigations group is the largest such group in Europe and we also have lawyers specialising in this practice area in Asia and the Middle East.
We are ranked in the top tiers of Chambers and Legal 500 for our work in this area. We regularly work in teams with forensic accountants, investigation agents, local law firms and our own employment, financial services and data protection experts.
We regularly advise on reporting to and communications with the Serious Fraud Office, Financial Services Authority, Serious Organised Crime Agency and equivalent enforcement authorities around the world.
Our recent experience includes:
- advising a FTSE 100 financial services company on a corruption investigation involving payments through several jurisdictions, including providing advice on the risk of tax evasion and money laundering offences
- acting for a global company in relation to an internal overseas payments investigation, providing advice on potential liability for bribery offences, money laundering issues and self-reporting
- advising an investment bank on an investigation into suspected corruption, including providing advice on potential liability under the UK Bribery Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, potential systems and controls failings, self-reporting to the UK Financial Services Authority and Serious Fraud Office and related money laundering issues
- advising on an internal investigation into irregular payments to government officials in China and improper travel and entertainment reimbursement claims
- conducting an investigation into the interaction between company employees and a foreign governmental official both in Asia and in the United States, including providing advice to the company’s compliance function on to how to remediate the matter
- acting for one of the main corporate targets of the largest anti-corruption case in the Netherlands to date. Charges included the payment of kickbacks for brokers and other third parties in corrupt property sales, the falsification of documents and money laundering. The prosecution against our client was dismissed
- advising an international defence contractor in relation to a corruption investigation
- advising an international company on a multi-jurisdictional internal fraud investigation in England, France, Germany and the Netherlands. This involved our London, French, German and Dutch offices working closely together and included us providing advice in each of these jurisdictions on the parameters of carrying out an internal investigation, including data protection issues, employment law aspects and disciplinary proceedings and potential criminal liability and reporting obligations
- advising on an internal fraud investigation of an international investment bank in Hong Kong and the UK, bringing proceedings in the UK, obtaining freezing orders and search orders, tracing funds through several jurisdictions and advising on money laundering and enforcement
- advising the former Chief Executive of OIympus Corporation, following his resignation from the company and whistle-blowing concerning a £1.1bn fraud relating to corporate acquisitions. We provided advice on Japanese and UK law and procedure arising from the criminal investigations
- acting for a company director in a highly sensitive and high profile joint investigation by the US Department of Justice and UK Serious Fraud Office into alleged corruption
- advising a global company and two of its employees on the implications of an extradition request and international arrest warrants. This matter involves working with lawyers in six jurisdictions
- advising in relation to the ongoing investigations by the Culture Media and Sport Select Committee, the Leveson enquiry and police investigations into News of the World
- advising a Global financial institution in relation to suspected money laundering allegedly committed by an Italian employee within a major bribery investigation
- advising an International Telecom Company in relation to suspected international criminal association and tax fraud allegedly committed by the Italian subsidiary company within a major investigation in telecom sector
- conducting an internal criminal investigation together with our employment team at a German subsidiary of a Japanese conglomerate and advising on related employment law matters as well as claims for damages before labour and civil
- conducting an internal criminal investigation together with our employment team for a U.S. high-tech company and advising on related employment and criminal law matters including disciplinary action and subsequent labour court litigation
- working on an internal investigation together with our employment and tax teams for a German conglomerate with regard to alleged multi-million bribery including advice on disciplinary measures and impact under criminal law.