Tim is a member of our highly rated Crime, Fraud and Investigations group (Band 1 Legal 500 UK 2018 for regulatory investigations and corporate crime and Band 1 Chambers UK 2018 for financial crime).
Tim acts for corporates and individuals in complex criminal and regulatory matters. He has been involved in a number of the city's highest profile criminal investigations and trials.
Tim specialises in conducting internal and regulatory investigations. He advises companies linked to criminal investigations and proceedings as the result of the alleged misconduct of employees or third parties.
Tim advises companies on money laundering, tax evasion and anti-bribery and corruption systems and controls compliance. He regularly advises financial institutions considering making disclosures under the Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA).
He has recently been seconded to the financial crime compliance division of an international bank.
Tim also has extensive experience of litigation brought under POCA, particularly the confiscation and civil recovery regimes. He has co-authored the Thomson Reuters Compliance Officer POCA Bulletin re-published three times, most recently in April 2018. Tim has written or co-authored articles published in Thomson Reuters Complinet, Legal Week and the Criminal Justice and Law Weekly.
- Recent Work
- acting for a multi-national pharmaceutical company in a corruption investigation in the UK and overseas involving the Serious Fraud Office, US Department of Justice and other international enforcement authorities
- acting for a multi-national extractives company investigated by the SFO
- reviewing the anti-bribery and corruption controls for an international bank in the context of the FCA’s Systematic Anti-Money Laundering Programme (SAMLP) and advising on enhancements to policies and procedures
- acting for The Solicitors Regulatory Authority investigating two law firms in respect of their conduct arising from the Al Sweady Inquiry
- advising senior executives interviewed under caution or as witnesses by the SFO in respect of their investigation into: Tesco, Rolls Royce, Afren, Serco and Sweett Group plc
- conducting a global tax evasion risk assessment on behalf of a financial institution and a large professional services firm and advising on control enhancements
- acting for a global insurance broker investigating an employee of suspected fraud.
Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons, Tim worked for a white-collar crime firm. He acted for, among others: Asil Nadir, Kweku Adoboli and the Chief Executive Officer of iSOFT Group plc.