Thomas specialises in debt capital markets law and (retail) structured products. He particularly advises banks but also corporates in connection with capital markets transactions.
Thomas is a partner in our Frankfurt office and has extensive experience, inter alia, in advising on structured notes, warrants and certificates, as well as on debt issuance programmes, stand-alone bonds, liability management transactions, German law governed registered notes (Namensschuldverschreibungen) and assignable loan agreements (Schuldscheindarlehen).
Recent work that Thomas has been involved with includes:
- advising the banks in connection with the issuance of collateralised fixed rate notes by a German energy company.
- advising the banks in connection with a tender offer regarding notes by a leading German utilities company and the issuance of fixed rate notes.
- advising a German mortgage bank in connection with the annual update of their debt issuance programme.
- advising a leading bank as arranger of an assignable loan agreement in Brazilian Real.
- transaction management for several banks in connection with the issuance of German law governed registered notes and assignable loan agreements.
- advising a leading bank in connection with the establishment of an issuance programme for (retail) structured products.
- advising a leading bank on issuances of notes, warrants and certificates under its issuance programme for structured products.
- advising a German bank in connection with the automation of its debt issuance programme.
Thomas studied law at Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg. During his legal clerkship he already gained initial experiences in the financial law department of a large German DAX-listed corporation in Munich. At the beginning of his professional career he acted as transaction manager and legal adviser in the investment bank division of a large German bank in Frankfurt before he worked for another major international law firm for several years. During this time he was seconded to the investment bank division of a leading Swiss bank in London. Thomas joined Simmons & Simmons in August 2012.