Robert is a contentious financial markets litigation specialist of over 25 years' experience and is recognised as one of the leading practitioners in the field. Over recent years Robert has become perhaps the most prominent and experienced contentious asset management specialist in the City.
Robert’s practice includes:
- asset management disputes and regulatory investigations
- structured products and derivatives disputes
- contentious regulatory and investigations
- exchange based product and commodities disputes
- Recent Experience
- asset management disputes, partnership disputes and derivative actions and related litigation in the U.K., U.S., Jersey, Guernsey, Cayman and London
- being at the forefront of key issues involved in the Administrations of both Lehman Brothers and MF Global advising primary the fund industry
- advising Merrill Lynch Investment Management on its defence of the high profile proceedings brought against it by the Unilever Superannuation Fund
- advising fund and asset managers over the last ten years on responding to and defending claims by investors and on fund governance issues relevant to the management of such disputes
- advising The Law Debenture Trust p.l.c. on multijurisdictional litigation arising out of one of the most prominent and most litigated Eurobond defaults
- advising investment banks in relation to the enforcement of structured product obligations where the counterparties, often local authorities and/or their equivalents, assert misselling, incapacity and, in some cases, misrepresentation in an effort to avoid contractual obligations
- advising on the leading English law authority upholding the validity of oral trading on the UK markets FCA, European and US regulator investigations, particularly concerning FX, culture, allegations of market manipulation, market abuse, insider dealing and systems and controls failures commodities and exchange trading disputes (including LME Arbitration)
- advising a global multi-strategy arbitrage fund in relation to its defence of a winding up petition brought in the Cayman Islands by a small group of investors.
- Professional Recognition
Robert is a recognised leader in the directories for Financial, Litigation, Commercial Litigation and Contentious Regulatory work. He is a regular speaker on contentious issues impacting the asset management sector.
Robert “deserves his reputation” as one of the City’s leading lights in this field, with sources calling him “one of the most ferocious litigators” in the market.
The “unflappable” Robert Turner is "highly esteemed for his excellent judgement and his ability to keep his head when everyone around him has lost theirs" (Chambers 2018).
Legal 500 (2018) "The pragmatic and commercial Robert Turner is a trusted pair of hands on complex banking litigation as well as contentious regulatory matters" (Financial Services), "Robert Turner is a very shrewd lawyer" (Commercial Litigation), "top rated" (Banking Litigation).
What clients say about Robert:
- “his strength is his commitment, it doesn’t matter what time of day, he will provide a considered response… He is very responsive to our needs”
- “he doesn’t make a big fuss, just explains the issues to us clearly, getting to the point with integrity, openness and frankness”
- “Robert Turner has a very pragmatic and sensible approach….always very responsive”
- “a very good individual to work with, pleasant and very attentive to our requirements”