Richard specialises in PPP/PFI concessions and non-contentious construction law in the UK and internationally, with a particular focus on the energy and infrastructure sectors.
- Recent Work
- leading the Simmons & Simmons' team advising Viridor on the successful financial close of the South London PPP Contract
- leading the Simmons & Simmons' team advising MVV Umwelt GmbH in relation to the energy from waste CHP facility at Plymouth Royal Dockyard
- leading the Simmons & Simmons' team advising UK Green Investments on its first transaction upon which the General Counsel commented: “On behalf of UKGI, I want to thank you…this proved to be a hugely challenging deal undertaken in a very tight time-frame. It could not have been done without UKGI and its advisers working well together as a team and we appreciate your contribution to this.”
- advising SNC-Lavalin on its contractual arrangements for the Ambatovy Mining Project
- advising Becton Dickinson on its construction of new plant and facilities
- leading the team advising on the restructuring of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link Project (capital value £5.3 billion)
advising the Department of Enterprise in Ireland on framework guidelines for Irish rail public private partnerships (IR£3.4 billion)
- advising MoD on its ground breaking UKMFTS tri-service PPP training programme
- advising on a Pathfinder PFI Project in the Netherlands: shadow toll road.
Richard joined Simmons & Simmons in 1995, and became a partner in 1997.
In addition to being a member of the Society of Construction Law, Richard is also an accredited adjudicator at the Institution of Civil Engineers. He holds an MSc in construction law and arbitration from King's College, London.
He is one of the authors of "Architect's Legal Handbook" (9th edition - 2010).