Richard is a specialist in contentious matters arising in the banking, debt capital markets and financial services industry sectors. His practice involves advising on a wide range of legal issues and he has considerable experience of dealing with a broad range of complex, high value commercial disputes and problems. His practice has a strong international focus. Richard also undertakes regulatory investigations.
The client base Richard works with is predominantly financial institutions. These principally comprise of investment banks and commercial banks, and also include trust corporations, investment managers and other financial services providers.
- Recent Work
- acting for an international bank in a large derivatives dispute with market counterparties (UK High Court)
- acting for a bank defending civil proceedings based on alleged EURIBOR manipulation
- acting for banks in litigation on the meaning of standard (LMA, ISDA) industry terms (including the first ever judgment in the High Court’s Financial List)
- acting for banks defending multiple High Court litigation proceedings brought by a wide range of claimants alleging mis-selling of various financial products
- conducting various internal/regulatory investigations at financial services providers
- acting for a party in international fraud injunction and asset recovery proceedings.
Richard is a partner in the London Finance Litigation group. He is also a member of the firm's crime, fraud & investigations group. He qualified as a solicitor at Simmons & Simmons in 1990. He has spent time on secondment to the firm’s capital markets group.
Richard has directory recognition as an expert in banking litigation and claimant fraud.