Raza is head of the ICT and Commercial IP practice in the Middle East which has consistently been recognised as market leading. He has been based in the Middle East for over 10 years and has developed particular expertise in the TMT and Life Sciences/Healthcare sectors, and advises across all IP or Tech-rich sectors.
- Recent Work
- advising various global and regional telcos (including Etisalat, du and Ooredoo) on their participation as consortium members on a number of high capacity fiber optic submarine cable systems (including EIG, WACS and SJC) as well as complex joint ventures in the TMT sector involving “first of its kind” collaborations which showcase convergence and business transformation in the regional TMT sector
- advising numerous global pharmaceutical companies, medical device businesses and healthcare service businesses (including GSK, Eli Lilly, Becton Dickinson, Terumo and Methodist International) on commercial, transactional, IP and regulatory matters across the Middle East
- advising on digital content projects (including for Abu Dhabi Media, Google, Qatar Development Bank and Take-Two Interactive) comprising acquisitions, disposals, licensing, sponsorship and distribution in the region
- advising many of the international and regional financial institutions (including Credit Suisse, Natixis, NBAD and QIB) on complex technology procurement including the largest and most complex banking platform implementation in Iraq’s banking sector (Trade Bank of Iraq), transformational biometric card solutions (International Smart Cards) and complex trading platform upgrades for banks and securities exchanges (Bahrain Bourse)
- advising regional and international energy businesses (including Exxon Mobil and an oil and gas major) on various ICT matters including ERP and other core solution procurement with a particular emphasis on customer adoption of newer technology service delivery models (including cloud-based solutions, agile project management and critical outsourcings)
- advising on the creation, development and execution of IP and R&D policy for various regional businesses looking to contribute to the shift towards a knowledge-based economy (including Abu Dhabi National Oil Company).
Raza qualified in London in 2004. He has completed client secondments with a leading Lloyd’s insurer in their TMT division and also with Nestlé as senior IP counsel before moving to the Gulf. More recently, he was seconded as Acting General Counsel to GSK in Dubai where he covered the Middle East region and as the special advisor on IP / Technology Transfer to the UAE’s Petroleum Institute where he oversaw a significant, diverse and high value R&D program. He has provided training and written articles on topical legal and regulatory issues including outsourcing, privacy, the exploitation of intellectual property and the development of competition laws in the Middle East.
- Chambers Global 2014 describes Raza as “an excellent and bright all-rounder. Very knowledgeable and an expert in his field. Possesses great technical skills and is a solution-oriented lawyer who understands business well.”
- World Trade Mark Review 2015 says “Clients love practice manager Raza Rizvi: “He has a skill set that is very difficult to find in these parts – he can advise not only on the mechanics of IP protection and registration, but also on the most sophisticated commercialisation matters. He brings a wealth of experience in commercial IP across the region and his advice adds significant value to our business.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2015 recommends Raza for IP and says he has “a wealth of knowledge on local laws.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2015 recommends Raza for TMT and says he “understands the type of advice the clients need, and tailors his responses accordingly.”
- Chambers Global 2015 says Raza “has a great deal of experience in advising on the exploitation of IP rights, as well as handling a wide range of commercial and regulatory matters. Sources are very impressed with his negotiating skills.”
- World Trade Mark review 2016 says “…Raza is pretty unique in the region. Other internationals flirt with IP in the region, but he is one of the very few people with a high level of expertise in UAE IP law," says one peer. Another partner enthuses: "He has a very extensive grasp of IP law and he advises extensively on it. He does a lot of work in relation to UAE copyright law…”.