Priya is a barrister in the Intellectual Property (IP) group and has over 14 years' experience of IP litigation. Priya leads complex, often business-critical litigation from pre-action and clearance stages through to trial. Priya’s expertise spans the range of IP rights including patents, trade marks, copyright, database rights and designs. Priya regularly appears on behalf of her clients, conducting advocacy in the High Court, IP Enterprise Court and UK Intellectual Property Office.
Priya has represented many household names, specialising in multi-jurisdictional litigation across the e-commerce, media, life sciences and technology sectors. Her cases typically involve technical subject matter given her scientific background. Priya’s other area of expertise includes television format litigation (having worked with acclaimed producers), as well as litigation in the IP Enterprise Court and alternative litigation funding solutions for high-growth companies and SMEs.
- Recent Work
- Boston Scientific v Edwards Lifesciences: representing Boston Scientific in UK patent litigation with Edwards Lifesciences about aortic valve replacement devices, including co-ordinating with numerous national and EPO proceedings as part of a substantial global dispute
Experience from previous firm:
- advising Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman on TV format and IP issues during production of The Grand Tour for Amazon Prime
- Resolution Chemicals Ltd v H Lundbeck A/S: representing Resolution Chemicals against H Lundbeck, in a patent revocation claim
- Microsoft Corporation v Datel Design Development Ltd & Others: representing Microsoft in a claim against Datel for infringement of copyright in the source code for the Xbox 360 and design right in its controllers
- Football Dataco Ltd & Others v Yahoo! UK Ltd: successfully limiting the scope of protection for football fixture lists for Yahoo!, including a reference to the CJEU from the Court of Appeal
- ITV Global Entertainment Ltd & Others v Europroducciones: representing ITV in a trade mark infringement claim regarding a TV format
- L’Oreal SA & Others v eBay International AG & Others: successfully defending eBay in a trade mark infringement case brought by L’Oreal and the leading authority on the liability of online marketplaces
- Morton’s of Chicago v Mortons The Restaurant Ltd: successfully defending the Morton’s private members’ club in trade mark actions in the UK, EU IPO and CJEU.
Priya has a First Class Honours degree in Chemistry and Law from the University of Bristol. Priya was called to the Bar of England and Wales in November 2002 by the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, and qualified as a barrister at leading IP barristers’ chambers with 3 scholarships from Lincoln’s Inn. Priya joined Simmons after spending 13 years at another international city law firm.
Priya was awarded Acquisition International’s Best IP Litigator (UK) 2016 and Best for Business Critical IP Litigation (UK) 2016.