Peter is a partner in the Financial Markets group based in the Amsterdam office. Peter is a US-qualified international capital markets lawyer who specialises in advising investment banking, governmental and corporate clients on multijurisdictional debt and equity transactions pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S under the US Securities Act. His specific experience includes advising on medium-term note, commercial paper and structured finance programmes, bond issues, liability management transactions and equity-related issues.
- Recent Work
- advising the dealers to a major Dutch corporation on the establishment of its US debt issuance programme and subsequent US capital markets work
- advising one of the leading financial institutions in The Netherlands in connection with multiple issues in aggregate of more than €25bn from 2012 through 2017 on a Rule 144A and Regulation S basis under its debt issuance programmes
- advising the Dutch government on its debut US Rule 144A debt issue for $3.27bn and subsequent US capital markets work
- advising one of the leading banks in The Netherlands on its debut US Rule 144A covered bond issue for $1.5bn, the first syndicated US Rule 144A covered bond issue by a Dutch issuer
- advising the underwriters to one of the leading insurance institutions in The Netherlands on its debut US Rule 144A residential mortgage-backed securities issue, the first syndicated US Rule 144A residential mortgage backed securities issue by a Dutch issuer
- advising the dealers to major Dutch corporations on their European debt issuance programmes and related capital markets work
- advising the dealers on the establishment of various commercial paper and certificate of deposit programmes
- advising one of the leading financial institutions in The Netherlands on its €6.5bn liability management exercise involving tender and exchange offers on various series of its outstanding hybrid capital instruments, one of the largest private sector liability management exercise undertaken in the Netherlands to date, and subsequent US and European cash tender offers and exchange offers.
Peter joined the Simmons & Simmons Amsterdam office as a partner in April 2015. He was previously with other leading international law firms, where he gained over 14 years of experience working in New York and Amsterdam. Peter is admitted to the Bar of the State of New York. Peter has also spent time on secondment overseeing the debt capital markets desk of a major international bank based in The Netherlands.
Peter's client base includes several of the most significant issuers and underwriters active in the Dutch and international capital markets. He has been recognised in various legal guides, including Chambers Global and The Legal 500, as a leading capital markets practitioner.
Peter is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Surdna Foundation, a major New York-based philanthropic foundation that seeks to foster sustainable communities in the United States – communities guided by principles of social justice and distinguished by healthy environments, strong local economies, and thriving cultures.