Paul heads the soft IP and media practice in Amsterdam. He has a wide range of experience in intellectual property litigation and media litigation. He primarily advises clients on trademark, copyright, design and freedom of speech issues and has been involved in a number of landmark cases.
His recent recognitions include:
Chambers (ed. 2019) “He is described by sources as “a clever and ambitious lawyer””
Legal500 (ed. 2018, trademarks and copyrights): “'sharp, commanding, creative' group head Paul Tjiam is 'the perfect lawyer'”
World Trademark Review (ed. 2019): “He is one of the busiest litigators in the Dutch field – an up-an-coming star who is very bright and highly responsive.”
- Recent Work
- successfully acted against Google in proceedings whereby Google for the first time was ordered by a court to hand over IP addresses and personal information on its Google Reviewers posting fake reviews
- successfully representing Terumo in media litigations against Dutch public broadcaster AVROTROS and two of its journalists regarding two broadcasts on the safety of medical devices
- representing L’Oréal in multiple disputes regarding its luxury perfumes
- successfully representing Samsung in design right claims regarding its toner cartridges
- representing CEOs and members of boards in a number of libel / freedom of speech matters.
Paul was promoted to partner in May 2019.
Paul read law at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam (cum laude), and holds Bachelor’s degrees (B.Sc. & B.A.) and Master’s degrees (M.Sc. & M.A.) in Criminology and Art & Culture Sciences (cum laude).
Before joining Simmons & Simmons in 2015, Paul worked on the IP section at one of the leading law firms of the Netherlands.
- Speaking Engagements
Paul is frequently ask to speak on national and international conferences, mostly on international trademark litigation and trademark law history. He was speaker at ECTA, INTA and AIPPI conferences.