Nick has a broad experience of corporate tax with a particular emphasis on transactional work including sales and purchases of companies, mergers, demergers, reconstructions, business sales and purchases, joint ventures, and VAT. Nick also advises on structured finance products, securitisations, business process outsourcing arrangements and real estate transactions.
Nick is recognised as a specialist in the mergers and acquisitions field. He is ranked as a leading individual in the latest Legal 500 ("impressive") and Chambers directories and endorsed in PLC Which Lawyer?.
- Recent Work
- advising AnaCap on a CRD IV compliant investment with Banca IMI and Phoenix investment Partners (as arrangers) in €550m (in aggregate) asset-backed securities issued by Ariana SPV S.r.l., collateralised by a portfolio of loans in the “CDQ” sector (2014).
- advising an Avenue Capital fund on: (1) multiple acquisitions of purpose-built UK student accommodation; and (2) acquiring land for development of new student accommodation and negotiating development agreement. Also advising Avenue Europe Management LLP on the securitisation of student accommodation assets through the issue of rated listed notes backed by income flows from the student accommodation (2014)
- advising Cheyne Capital on the launch of the Cheyne Social Property Impact Fund, a UK REIT. The fund, seeded by investors including Big Society Capital, is seeking commitments of £300m from UK and other EU and non EU investors for investment in UK property so as to increase the capacity of social sector organisations and other related bodies to deliver front line services to some of the UK’s poorest citizen (2014).
- advising one of Europe’s largest pension fund asset managers, on the merger of the Elephant & Castle and “East Village” residential projects to create a £1.4bn joint venture with Delancey and Qatari Diar in the UK’s private rented market (2016).
- advising a Sovereign Wealth Fund on its £1.1bn acquisition, with four other institutional investors, of a 33% stake in the combined business of Three and O2 UK for £3.1bn from Hutchison Whampoa (2015).
- advising Macquarie Capital on its acquisition of a 25% stake in the Galloper offshore wind farm (2015), which is to be built off the coast of Suffolk. Macquarie now holds its interest in a joint venture alongside RWE Innogy, Siemens Financial Services and the Green Investment Bank.
Nick is a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation Corporate. He has written and contributed to various tax publications, including, the "PLC Tax Manual", "PLC Share Purchases Manual" and the tax sections of the book by W.K. Knight, "The Acquisition of Private Companies and Business Assets" (7th edition) published by FT Law & Tax.
Nick qualified as a solicitor at Simmons & Simmons in 1992 and subsequently became a partner in 1998.