Nick is a partner in the firm’s Crime, Fraud & Investigations group. He advises on a wide range of corporate crime, corruption and fraud-related matters. He is experienced at dealing with large scale and sensitive investigations involving the handling of issues in multiple jurisdictions, and regularly advises on reporting to and communications with enforcement authorities including the Serious Fraud Office and National Crime Agency.
Nick also has over 25 years' experience of a wide range of complex, high value commercial and corporate investigations and disputes.
- Recent Work
- advising a multi-national organisation on a large scale corruption investigation involving the Serious Fraud Office, Financial Conduct Authority, US Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission
- advising on a high profile corruption investigation in the UK and overseas involving the Serious Fraud Office, US Department of Justice and other international enforcement authorities
- advising an investment bank on the obtaining of search orders and freezing orders, and coordination with criminal and regulatory authorities across the world, ultimately leading to the recovery of the stolen funds
- advising in relation to the investigations by the Culture Media and Sport select committee, the Leveson enquiry and police investigations into News of the World
- acting for several FTSE companies leading investigations into suspected corrupt activity; advising on related money laundering issues; coordinating self reporting to and settlements with the Serious Fraud Office
- acting for individual executives under investigation by the Serious Fraud Office
- advising 12 leading energy & extractives companies on sector specific guidance on Bribery Act compliant anti-corruption procedures
- advising on mutual legal assistance requests, notices under section 2 of the Criminal Justice Act and extradition issues, including advising on a successful judicial review of the Home Secretary and the Serious Fraud Office.
Nick joined Simmons & Simmons in 1989 and became a partner in 1999. He has been admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and in Hong Kong.
Nick is a former Chairman of the IBA Anti-Corruption Committee (2012 to 2014), a founding member of the City of London Law Society Corporate Crime Committee and a member of the Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association. He was a member of the CBI Working Group on the Bribery Act.
He is ranked in Band 1 of Chambers for Corporate Crime and Investigations, and is rated as a Leading Individual for Fraud by Legal 500. He is recommended as a leading practitioner in the "Who's Who of Business Crime Lawyers" and is described in Chambers and Legal 500 as "excellent at identifying problems, then using his outstanding judgment to find appropriate solutions", "sharp as a razor and a savvy tactician" and "absolutely first class".