Michael is Head of the London IP Group. He specialises in all types of transactions involving intellectual property. He has considerable experience in a wide range of industry sectors, including life sciences, technology, energy, financial institutions and consumer goods. He advises regularly on consortium agreements, joint ventures, licensing, commercialization agreements and financings, as well as share and asset deals. He has particular expertise in multi-party collaborations and funds involving industry, academia, technology transfer offices and governments.
Michael also specializes in regulatory compliance, advising on matters such as interactions with healthcare professionals, clinical trials, marketing authorization, manufacturing, distribution, promotion and pharmacovigilance. Michael is head of our firm’s UK life sciences practice.
- Recent Work
- advising on the formation of OGCI Climate Investments LLP, a $1bn collaborative investment fund designed to tackle climate change on a global scale, involving several of the world’s biggest oil and gas companies
- advising on the £40m Apollo Therapeutics joint venture fund, a collaboration between GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson Innovation and AstraZeneca with the technology transfer offices of Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Cambridge
- advising Her Majesty's Government on the formation of the Energy Technologies Institute, a £1.1bn public-private partnership designed to facilitate the development of low carbon energy technology, involving BP, Rolls Royce, Caterpillar, EON and EDF, as well as SMEs and universities
- advising GlaxoSmithKline in connection with the first “open science” collaboration between industry and the Francis Crick Institute
- advising the MHRA’s Clinical Practice Research Datalink in connection with clinical data collection and licensing
- advising a leading UK institution on the monetisation of a portion of its blockbuster drug revenue stream to a fund
- advising NASDAQ listed Ascendis Pharma on the development and commercialization of its proprietary linker and carrier technology in various therapeutic areas
- advising various pharmaceutical companies and medical device companies on regulatory compliance under EU and national laws, regulations and industry codes, including on global compliance guidelines, interactions with healthcare professionals, multi-centre clinical trials, product promotion and risk mitigation.
Clients say Michael is "one of the most dedicated lawyers I've ever encountered, and forever available" (Chambers & Partners). He is ranked as one of the world's leading patent and technology licensing lawyers with clients saying he is “extremely knowledgeable and extensively experienced”, he “makes a huge effort to understand the underlying technologies and this gives him an edge" he “finds effective solutions that others aren't able to imagine", he is a "renowned licensing expert", and a “licensing ace” who “designs complex agreements with real panache” (Intellectual Asset Management). Legal 500 recognises Michael as an expert having "great depth in assessing risks". WTR 1000 describes Michael as “an incredibly intellectual guy and a genius at communicating complex legal concepts to laymen”, and “his attention to detail is fantastic and he is quick to understand the commercial background against which he provides his advice.”
Michael has a degree in genetics. He teaches on the Oxford University Postgraduate Diploma in IP Law and Practice.