Matthew is an investment funds specialist focusing on all classes of private funds. His practice covers a wide range of transactional and investment work, including fund formation (for both liquid and illiquid assets), indirect investments, advising on investment management issues, joint ventures and managed accounts. He has advised on the establishment of a number of investment vehicles and assisted institutional investors around the world (including sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and family offices) with more than US$30bn of investments.
Matthew is a member of the firm’s Brexit team. Click here for more information.
- Recent Work
- advising a leading infrastructure fund manager in connection with the launch and ongoing operation of its European focussed funds
- advising the UK Department of Health in connection with the establishment of, and seed investment in, the Dementia Discovery Fund, the first global venture capital fund focussed on dementia
- advising a litigation funder in connection with two innovative fund structures focussing on funding litigation on a global basis
- advising a leading credit manager in connection with the establishment of a number of funds in Luxembourg, Delaware and the Cayman Islands
- advising a number of institutional investors in connection with the sale of LP interests
- advising sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and other institutional investors on more than US$30bn of investments in closed-ended funds, managed accounts and joint ventures
Matthew is based in the London office and has more than fifteen years’ experience of advising funds, managers and investors in a variety of jurisdictions. His experience includes pooled fund vehicles as well as innovative seeding deals, fund replication programmes and managed accounts (for both liquid and illiquid assets).
In the 2016 FT Innovative Lawyers’ Awards Matthew and Charles Mayo were ‘highly commended’ for their advice to the Department of Health (DH) to establish with DH, six global pharmaceutical companies and Alzheimer’s Research UK the world’s first investment fund for pre-clinical dementia research. Matthew is recommended by both the Legal 500 and Thomson Reuters: Super Lawyers.