Matthew is an investment funds specialist focusing on all classes of private funds. His practice covers a wide range of transactional and investment work, including fund formation (for both liquid and illiquid assets), indirect investments, advising on investment management issues, joint ventures and managed accounts. He has advised on the establishment of a number of investment vehicles and assisted institutional investors around the world (including sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and family offices) with more than US$20bn of investments.
Matthew is a member of the core team dedicated to start-up hedge fund work in London. The team is behind Simmons & Simmons LaunchPlus - the firm’s online resource for start-up hedge fund managers.
Matthew is a member of the firm’s Brexit team. Click here for more information.
- Recent Work
- advising an emerging investment manager in connection with the establishment of a number of hedge funds established as Irish QIFs and Delaware limited partnerships
- advising a UK private equity fund manager in connection with the establishment of a Guernsey domiciled fund
- advising a global asset manager in connection with the establishment of 2 master feeder funds investing in securitisation assets
- advising a sovereign wealth fund in connection with seed investments in two private equity funds focussing on the global technology sector
- advising an investment bank in connection with the establishment of 8 hedge funds structured as Irish QIFs
- advising sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and other institutional investors on more than US$10bn of investments in private equity funds, including those managed by Colony Capital, Starwood, Blackstone, Hermes GPE and Terra Firma
- advising on the establishment of a new sovereign wealth fund.
Matthew is based in the London office and has more than nine years’ experience of advising funds, managers and investors in a variety of jurisdictions. His experience includes pooled fund vehicles as well as innovative seeding deals, fund replication programmes and managed accounts (for both liquid and illiquid assets). He is a regular speaker at conferences and has recently given talks in relation to the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD).
In the 2016 FT Innovative Lawyers’ Awards Matthew and Charles Mayo were ‘highly commended’ for their advice to the Department of Health (DH) to establish with DH, six global pharmaceutical companies and Alzheimer’s Research UK the world’s first investment fund for pre-clinical dementia research.