Matthew is an expert in Structured Trade and Commodity Finance. He regularly acts for banks, commodity producers and commodity traders across the full range of commodity finance structures. He advises on bilateral and syndicated corporate financings, structured trade finance, export credit agency supported transactions, multilateral trade finance liquidity programmes, asset finance, project finance and finance leasing. He also advises on commodity finance related matters such as regulatory issues, disputes, defaults and work-outs and the packaging and sell down of trade related assets.
Matthew has worked on transactions involving commodities such as oil, copper, steel, tobacco, cocoa, uranium, palm oil and coffee. He has completed transactions for borrowers in the emerging markets of Africa, the CIS, South America, the Middle East and has a particular focus on Asia.
- Recent Work
- advising Asian Development Bank on several Trade Finance Programmes
- advising Bank of China on commodity repurchase transactions
- advising BNP Paribas on syndicated facility for technology company borrowers in Singapore and Taiwan
- advising Confidential Fund on range of Islamic finance structured trade transactions in Indonesia
- advising Confidential Bank on default of structured trade transaction in Thailand
- advising DBS Bank on receivables purchase structures
- advising Deutsche Bank legal department on advance payment facility between Singapore and India
- advising HSBC on global receivables finance products
- advising Standard Chartered Bank on global commodity finance project covering secured loan and commodity ownership structures
- advising The Royal Bank of Scotland on steel financing in the PRC.
Matthew is an English qualified banking & finance lawyer. Previously Matthew was managing partner of the Singapore office at another international law firm. Matthew joined Simmons & Simmons in 2016 and was based in the Firm’s Singapore office.
Matthew has difficulty saying no to offers of exotic overseas placements and as a result has worked in London, Tokyo, Dubai and Singapore. He is a member of the Simmons & Simmons Commodities team and is based in the Firm’s London office.