Mark advises on the direct and indirect issues affecting clients across all of Simmons & Simmons’ focus sectors. His transactional expertise covers mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, real estate and financial market transactions. He also advises on the tax issues relevant to investment funds and their managers, including sovereign wealth, real estate and infrastructure funds. His indirect tax practice has particular focus on the VAT issues affecting the financial services and real estate sectors.
Mark has recently undertaken secondments to the central tax advisory teams at Schroders (2014) and Macquarie (2015).
- Recent Work
- advising Deka Immobilien on its c.£400m acquisition of the Rathbone Square development, including Facebook’s new UK headquarters
- advising a major investment bank on a strategic investment in a modular housing construction business
- advising a major investment bank on two financings for retirement living and PRS schemes in excess of £100m
- advising a major real estate investment manager on sale and lease bank transactions of hotel portfolios valued in excess of £500m
- advising a Saudi investor on structuring Shariah compliant investment arrangements for UK and pan-European real estate investments
- advising Crestline on structuring a new European Credit Opportunities fund
- advising Avenue Capital on establishing a new UK student accommodation business, the acquisition and/or development of underlying purpose built student properties and the subsequent disposal of the business to Brookfield
- advising Macquarie on its investment in the joint venture with RWE Innogy, the Green Investment Bank and Siemens constructing the £1.5bn Galloper Offshore Wind Farm project.
Mark qualified as a solicitor at Simmons & Simmons in March 2007 and became a managing associate in 2014.