Mark leads the UK Real Estate Finance practice. He acts for all market participants: lenders, borrowers, senior, junior and mezzanine debt players providing investment, development and structured finance, including commercial mortgage backed securitisations.
Mark also specialises in real estate restructuring and insolvency work, working with lenders and borrowers and with Insolvency Practitioners and Property Receivers.
Key sector experience includes: residential, hotels and leisure, healthcare and retail.
- Recent Work
- advising a leading clearing bank on financings, including investment and development facilities secured on a chain of hotels and a development facility for the construction of student accommodation
- advising hedge fund Chenavari Real Estate Trading in establishing its real estate lending platform and originating senior mezzanine and whole business loans on properties in the UK and Germany, including retail assets and student accommodation
- advising Deutsche Bank generally on one of its real estate lending platforms including establishing standard documentation and originating debt for the lending programme
- advising debt fund AgFe on some of their larger senior debt financings in 2015, including the financing of Varde’s acquisition of Bizspace, which leases commercial units, offices, studios, industrial units and storage at 97 multi-let sites in England and Scotland comprising over 6,004 units
- advising on the establishment of a commercial real estate lending programme for a new entrant to the UK market
- advising on borrower mandates restructuring significant debt positions opposite the likes of HSBC and Nationwide.
Mark qualified in 1992 and is based in London as a partner in the Simmons & Simmons banking group which forms part of the financial markets department. He joined the Firm in September 2011 after 21 years with another leading City practice. Mark's recognition includes:
- Chambers: “Mark Waghorn is praised for his immense experience and for keeping everything “calm and under control - he listens to you and then gets things done”. Listed as a Band 1 Real Estate Finance recommended lawyer (one of only five listed).
- Legal 500: “star turns such as…Mark Waghorn”. Recommended and listed as a “Leading Individual” for Property Finance.
- PLC Which Lawyer? Leading Real Estate Finance lawyer.
- PLC Cross-border Corporate Real Estate Handbook: a leading practitioner.
- Listed in 2013 as a “Super Lawyer” for Banking (Thomson Reuters).