Maria is a supervising associate based in our London office and a member of the firm’s international arbitration and engineering & construction groups. Her practice focuses on complex international arbitration. She has experience of arbitrations under various rules and has worked on complex commercial and investment treaty arbitrations and in the construction, energy and oil and gas sectors, in a broad range of jurisdictions, including, in particular, the Middle East, Africa and Eastern Europe.
Maria is a dual-qualified lawyer, admitted in England & Wales and Greece. She is an associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Recent Work
- acting for a leading international engineering consulting firm on claims arising out of a series of design contracts for a high-profile transportation project in the Gulf
- acting for a Kuwaiti contractor in an ICC arbitration in claims and counterclaims in relation to the construction of a project in the Middle East
- acting for a Greek holding renewable energy company on a complex civil and criminal litigation case in Greece in relation to a major wind energy project
- acting for an oil and gas multinational company in proceedings against an African state
- acting for a group of telecommunications companies in a multi-party LCIA arbitration in claims in relation to a share sale agreement, involving parallel proceedings in Africa
- acting for an individual in enforcement proceedings relating to ICAC arbitration award worth in excess of $300m, involving parallel proceedings in France and the Netherlands.
Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons in 2016, Maria worked at other international law firms in London and a premier law firm in Athens.
Maria graduated from the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens in 2011 with a Bachelor of Laws and completed her LL.M at SOAS, University of London in 2014 (Prize for Best Performing Student), where she specialised in international arbitration.