Leonie provides strategic advice on a variety of contentious matters, with a particular focus on energy and infrastructure. She has acted for and advised clients both domestically and internationally in various industries including developers, contractors, employers, media outlets and technology companies and has experience in assisting to advance and defend arbitration claims under the ICC, UNCITRAL, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, ADCCAC and DIAC rules, as well conducting proceedings in the DIFC Courts and assisting local counsel in respect of locally-based court proceedings. Leonie also has particular experience in respect of enforcing arbitral awards in both the DIFC courts, and the UAE courts.
In addition to her experience with contentious matters, Leonie offers extensive advice in respect of non-contentious construction, infrastructure and energy related matters and is experienced in various standard forms of contracts including FIDIC and numerous bespoke EPC and government contracts.
- Recent Work
- representing a regional contractor in respect of a complex construction dispute, involving numerous structural, delay and quantum issues, under a DIAC-based arbitration
- advising an international engineering and construction company in respect of an ICC arbitration
- representing a private equity fund in respect of an LCIA arbitration
- representing a large regional subcontractor in an ADCCAC arbitration, concerning various construction issues
- acting for an international client in respect of the enforcement of an arbitral award under the New York Convention
- advising an international engineering client in respect of enforcement of an arbitral award in the UAE courts
- advising a government in respect of a concession arrangement and the subsequent development of downstream contracts
- acting for and advising a local government entity in respect of an industrial development contract, and
- the development of various EPC and O&M arrangements for a variety of conventional and renewable energy projects, including gas, concentrated solar power, photovoltaic and water desalination projects.
Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons, Leonie worked in an in-house capacity with a leading developer and operator of power and water plants working on a variety of major energy related developments including both conventional energy and renewable projects.