Justin is a Supervising Associate in the constituent Singapore law practice of Simmons & Simmons JWS.
Justin's sector-based practice focuses on banking and finance. His core practices are in dispute resolution, restructurings and insolvencies, and anti-money laundering investigations and policies. Justin also has experience in banking and financing transactions, and has acted as international and deal counsel in cross border financing and restructuring transactions.
- Recent Work
- acted for a leading car distributor in the Singapore High Court in a widely reported claim brought by a customer involving a claim for misrepresentation and defects in a car - see Chan Chee Kien v Performance Motors Limited  SGHC 54
- acted for a company from the Cargill Group in determining whether a novel restraint of trade clause, hitherto untested by the Singapore Courts, ought to be upheld - see Mano Vikrant Singh v Cargill TSF Asia Pte Ltd  4 SLR 371
- advised the shareholders of the Glory Wealth Group in the restructuring of its debt with value exceeding US$1.1bn
- advised the founder of the Dovechem Group, a major solvent and chemicals group with interests in Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and China, in its restructuring pursuant to a widely-reported settlement reached in December 2012
- acted as deal counsel for a leading international bank in its upstream and downstream distressed debt trade of syndicated facilities granted to a major Indonesian corporate borrower subject to multijurisdictional restructuring proceedings in Indonesia, Singapore and the United States
- advised an international bank on its guidelines and framework for distressed debt trades
- conducted independent internal investigations and advised two leading international financial institutions in connection with separate enquiries by the DFSA and the MAS on money laundering issues, systems and controls
- advised on a range of banking and financing transactions such as secondary market debt trades, trade finance structures including off-balance sheet "true sale" structures, and platforms such as essDOCS and PrimeRevenue. Acted as international and deal counsel in cross border financing and restructuring transactions involving jurisdictions including Malaysia, Indonesia, India, China, Korea, and the Democratic Republic of Congo
Justin spent his formative years in Singapore's leading Dispute Resolution firm. Justin practiced in the market leading Corporate Restructuring & Workouts team, and under a Senior Counsel, who is widely recognised for his work in banking disputes. Justin was involved in several high profile disputes, restructuring, and investigation matters, and has been involved in matters where in novel points of law were argued before the Singapore Courts.
Justin also spent more than 8 months with the Financial Crime & Compliance team of an international bank. He was part of a team which managed and advised country level entities on their compliance with the bank's global client risks frame work and regulatory requirements, while striving to remain competitive commercially. He also worked with the bank's Compliance team in connection with the preparation of policies geared towards ensuring the bank's compliance with the BASEL III framework.
Outside work, Justin scuba dives and qualified as a PADI Rescue Diver in 2014. Justin also has an interest in humanitarian assistance and disaster relief - having been part of the Singapore Armed Forces medical team deployed to Indonesia to provide humanitarian assistance and disaster relief in the aftermath of an earthquake measuring 8.7 on the Richter Scale in March 2005.
His publications include:
International Insolvency & Restructuring Report 2017/18 (Singapore representative)
- "Key amendments to the debt restructuring regime in Singapore"
Asian Journal of Comparative Law
- Student Editor (Undergraduate)