Juan Martínez Calvo
Juan is partner in the Madrid office and his practice is focused in the infrastructure and energy sectors.
He has worked in a wide range of infrastructure and energy M&A transactions, advising funds, contractors, lenders and public bodies. His practice includes project finance, PPP projects and related litigation, covering joint ventures, asset acquisitions, privatisations, construction contracts and regulatory work in the infrastructure and energy sectors.
He has a large international experience with multilateral banks with special focus in Latin America (BID - Fomin, Word Bank Group with large experience in Brazil, Paraguay, El Salvador, Colombia, Ecuador, etc).
- Recent Work
- advising a major Healthcare operator in a portfolio of hospital PPP projects in Spain including its finance and dispute resolution
- advising a spanish Energy distributor on the sale of a majority stake to a major spanish electricity company
- advising concession road shadow toll company owned by a major construction company and an international investment fund on the issue of a project bond in the Marf alternative spanish market
- advising a joint venture of construction companies and investment funds in the development of a greenfield social equipment concession in Spain
- advising a public regional administration in the structuring of a major waste treatment plant concession
- advising a major private spanish investor in the Aena (airport Spain Network owner) privatisation for the institutional tranche
- advising a successul bidder in a concession contract to develop and manage the first ERTMS 2 signalling system in the High Speed train line Madrid-Alicante including proyect finance negotiation and transactional work for an international investment fund joint venture
- advising an international investor in the acquisition of a portfolio of photovoltaic projects in Spain.
Juan is recommended in the legal directories for infra and energy work. According with Chambers Europe 2018: He is particularly well versed in the infrastructure, environment and energy sectors. Clients appreciate that "he is friendly and available" and that "he provides sound judgement to find practical solutions.".
Juan is admitted in the Madrid Bar and holds a law degree (1992) and Bussiness Administration degree (1993) from ICADE (E3) - UP Comillas University.
He currently teaches public contracts dispute resolution in the LLM of the University Carlos III.
Juan joined Simmons & Simmons in 2018. Previously he was a partner in another international law firm leading the infrastructure and energy practice.
- “New public works concession contract regulation” Revista de Administración Pública 2018
- “Legal regime of the price revision in concession contracts”, Yearbook 2018 cases. Wolters Kluvert
- “The new practical and legal framework for infrastructure development through Public-Private Partnerships and financial intervention measures. Diagnosis of the current situation and revised recommendations”, in collaboration with Andrés Rebollo. Journal of Public Works, Transportation and Territorial Planning. 2014.