Jonathan is a partner in the firm’s Insurance and Construction group. Jonathan specialises in construction disputes, including defending professional negligence claims against architects, engineers, surveyors and design & build contractors. Jonathan also regularly advises London market insurers on complex, high value coverage disputes.
Jonathan’s caseload routinely involves mediations, arbitrations, adjudications and litigation (generally in the Technology and Construction Court). He has experience of a wide variety of construction disputes involving: iconic buildings; sports grounds; schools; hospitals; large residential schemes; commercial/retail; and waste to energy facilities.
Jonathan has undertaken a year-long client secondment at a major international Insurer, and has been recognised in the Legal 500 UK 2017 & 2018 for “strong commercial acumen”, and for being “active in construction disputes”.
Jonathan has also created the Policy Wording Toolkit – an online product that outlines key policy coverage issues across several jurisdictions to help insurers manage risk.
- Recent Work
- defending a structural engineer in a complex multi-party construction dispute concerning a major residential project in London
- defending a global architect in relation to a dispute concerning a major school project in Qatar
- defending a quantity surveyor in a complex dispute concerning a major school project in London
- defending a major contractor in a multi-party dispute concerning cladding installed on a commercial high-rise building
- advising London market insurers on issues encountered with steel works on an iconic skyscraper in the City of London
- defending a quantity surveyor in a multi-party claim involving a Premier League football club’s training ground
- advising London market insurers on policy coverage in respect of a claim against a specialist sports ground construction company concerning a sports complex in Northern Ireland
- defending multi-disciplinary engineering consultants in a claim concerning defects in the design and construction of a hospital
- represented the successful firm of engineers in a widely reported Technology and Construction Court case concerning the collapse of a property, following a basement conversion
- represented the successful firm of quantity surveyors in an adjudication involving a luxury spa hotel
- defending an architect in an arbitration relating to the design and construction of a well-known independent school.
Jonathan was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in April 2009, and joined Simmons & Simmons as a managing associate in March 2017. Jonathan was promoted to partner on 01 May 2019. Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons, Jonathan worked for a leading domestic law firm.
Jonathan is a regional coordinator for the South West division of the Society of Construction Law.