Jonathan specialises in UK and European regulation of the financial services and markets sector, including market infrastructure; asset management and the trading, clearing and settlement of securities, commodities and derivatives, including market conduct issues; and the operation and structure of financial services businesses.
- Recent Work
- advising Chicago Climate Exchange, ® Inc. on its arrangements with the International Petroleum Exchange (IPE) in London for the listing of cash and futures contracts in European Climate Exchange (ECX ®) Carbon Financial Instruments (CFI ®s) on the IPE
- advising SWX Swiss Exchange in respect of its strategic collaboration with and subsequent acquisition of virt-X, a UK recognised investment exchange
- advising a major US asset management firm on its EU marketing strategy, including related outsourcing arrangements
- advising a major European institution in respect of its multi billion Euro custody arrangements
- advising an international securities broker-dealer in respect of the restructuring of its European operations, including negotiating outsourcing arrangements in respect of back office activities.
Jonathan qualified as a solicitor with the firm in 1985 and became a partner in 1991.
He is based in London and is a member of the financial services group that is part of our financial markets department.
Jonathan sits on the Commodities Committee of The Futures and Options Association (FOA).
He has been consistently recognised as a leading expert by both "Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession" and "The Legal 500".
Jonathan has recently spoken at seminars on Developments in the Investment Services Directive; Outsourcing in the Financial Services Sector; and Senior Management Arrangements under the FSA Regime. Jonathan has also contributed a chapter on Consumer Relations: Complaints and Compensation in the recent edition of A Practitioners' Guide to the FSA Handbook, published by City and Financial.