Jonathan is a Barrister/Supervising Associate in the insurance and construction team. He is experienced in defending claims against construction professionals and major contractors.
Jonathan has experience of a wide variety of domestic and international construction and insurance disputes involving commercial construction, renewables, on-shore and off-shore energy and pipelines. He has experience of ‘Grenfell’ cladding disputes.
Jonathan also has expertise in the aviation sector and has acted for leading airlines, airports, the CAA, the Air Travel Trust and Aviation ADR Group. He was an author of Shawcross & Beaumont Air Law and of Atkins Court Forms.
He is a trained mediator and arbitrator and is experienced before the English commercial courts and arbitral tribunals. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), a supporting member of the LMAA, a member of the Society of Construction Lawyers (SCL) and a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS).
- Recent Work
- advising building main contractor on “cladding” dispute in relation to design and fitting of Alucobond panels
- advising and assisting on construction dispute in relation to data-handling centre outside the UK
- advising and representing applicant in Commercial Court in commercial agency and fraud dispute involving building firm and obtaining freezing injunction on worldwide basis
- advising purchaser on construction, purchase, and upgrade arrangement for on- and off-shore infrastructure with a value of more than US$100m
- advising and representing Defendant in insurance dispute involving “double insurance” raising aspects of English and Australian insurance law
- advising and representing Applicant in claim for enforcement of foreign judgment from Ghana, West Africa in England and Wales involving complex issues of foreign law and recognition and enforcement
- advising and representing claimant in civil claim following near-miss mid-air incident on RAF Airbus A330 Voyager aircraft on air transport flight from RAF Brize Norton to Camp Bastion Airfield, Afghanistan
- advising and representing Applicant in asset finance dispute involving recovery of 2 helicopters sold in Republic of Ireland by the National Assets Management Agency (NAMA).
Jonathan is a barrister qualified in England and Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. He is also a barrister/solicitor (non-practising) qualified in Australia. He was a senior junior barrister at a leading commercial set of barristers in London and specialized in construction, energy and transport including carriage by land, sea and air. Jonathan has been rated as leading barrister in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 since 2010.
Chambers UK, 2019: “His experience and understanding of the law and his commercial awareness has been of great assistance. He is very approachable, exceptionally knowledgeable, provides clear advice and finds the time to make himself available”.
Chambers UK (2017): “A tenacious advocate with an admired intellectual capacity. His redoubtable practice focuses on complex cases …”
Chambers UK (2016) “He is easy to work with and responsive. He quickly identifies the issues”.
Chambers UK (2016): “Noted by peers for his meticulous preparation, strong advocacy skills and easy manner with clients”.
Legal 500 (2016): “Very well prepared”.