George is a leading authority on disruptive technologies, primarily in the fields of crypto assets and blockchain. He also specialises in general commercial contracts for the IT and telecommunications sector.
George is a partner in our Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) group in London. He’s also an expert on crypto assets and the technologies and regulations surrounding blockchain technology. So much so that he’s the board-appointed lawyer for CryptoUK – the UK’s leading crypto assets trade association.
George thrives on developing innovative legal solutions for this rapidly evolving industry, informed by his first-hand knowledge of the sector and its commercial challenges. He knows disruptive technologies inside out, which means George’s legal advice is as forward-thinking as the industry itself.
As well as being the firm’s go-to expert on crypto and blockchain, George advises on all types of commercial contracts in the IT and telecoms sectors. He’s well-versed in data protection, cyber security, software licensing, procurement and regulatory matters.
Since joining Simmons & Simmons in 2007, George has completed secondments at Barclays, Virgin Media and Telefonica O2. He became a partner in 2018.
Some of his recent work includes:
- Telefonica UK (O2): advised on £1.2bn outsourcing of UK contact centre operations to Capita
- Major international cryptocurrency exchange: advising on a cross-border review of international cryptocurrency regulations in over 100 countries
- International investment bank: advising on the law surrounding electronic signatures and cryptography in 30 countries
- VEON: Advising on numerous procurement, outsourcing and other telecommunications commercial contracts
- International retail and investment bank: Advising on policies for engagement with crypto assets businesses, including on AML/KYC risk and market positioning.