Fiona advises on all aspects of the employment relationship, including hiring strategies; negotiation of employment terms and contract drafting; protection of confidential information, and enforcement of, and issues relating to, business protection restrictions; dispute resolution and litigation, including applying for and defending applications for injunctions; privacy and data protection; the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions and restructurings, share option/stock purchase schemes; and audits of human resources procedures. Fiona also has particular experience in dealing with the defence of equal opportunities and discrimination claims.
- Recent Work
- advising financial institutions and other multinationals on a range of contentious employment matters, including termination disputes and injunctions
- assisting a US headquartered multinational with a cross-border share incentive scheme
- assisting local employers (including subsidiaries of US and European groups) with anti discrimination needs including policies and training
- advising a leading Hong Kong based Asian airline on a variety of employment matters.
Fiona Loughrey has worked as a lawyer in Hong Kong since 1987. She is head of the firms Hong Kong office and head of the firms China nemployment team of around 20 fee-earners in Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai. She was one of the first lawyers in Hong Kong to specialise in employment law, and is admitted as a solicitor in England (1985), Hong Kong (1987) and Australia (ACT) (1990). She has extensive experience of advising financial institutions and multi-national employers in various sectors, and has a special interest in discrimination and privacy laws.
Fiona is the current chair of the Employment Law Committee of the Hong Kong Law Society and sits on the Legal Committee of the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce. She was head of the employment and immigration law committee of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association for two terms, before stepping down in 2013.
- Recent Recognition
Fiona has been:
- recognised as a “standout lawyer” in employment by Chambers Asia (2014)
- voted “External Lawyer of the Year” by the Asian-Counsel In-House Community Awards (as determined by votes of in-house lawyers), in 2010
- named “Hong Kong Labour Lawyer of the Year” at the China Staff Awards, in 1998, 1999 and 2004
- named “Best in Labour and Employment” at the Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards, in 2011
- recognised as a “Leading Individual” for Employment Law in Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and Chambers Asia, most recently in 2014
- recognised as the “Leading Individual” for Hong Kong by PLC Which Lawyer? in 2012