Fiona advises on all aspects of the employment relationship, including: negotiation of employment terms and contract drafting; separations; protection of confidential information, and enforcement of, and issues relating to, business protection restrictions; dispute resolution and litigation, including applying for and defending applications for injunctions; privacy and data protection; the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions and restructurings, share option/stock purchase schemes; and audits of human resources procedures. Fiona also has particular experience in dealing with the defence of equal opportunities and discrimination claims.
- Recent Work
- advising multiple financial institutions, asset managers and multinationals on a range of contentious employment matters, including termination disputes and injunctions
- assisting US and locally run multinationals with their cross-border share incentive scheme(s)
- advising financial institutions on cessation and bonus issues in various jurisdictions including Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and Australia
- dealing with many (uncorrected) claims by former employees for bonus and other awards claimed to be outstanding
- dealing with discrimination complaints.
Fiona Loughrey is head of the firm's Hong Kong office and of the firm's Asia employment team. She has worked as a lawyer in Hong Kong since 1987, and was one of the first lawyers in Hong Kong to specialise in employment law, and is admitted as a solicitor in England (1985), Hong Kong (1987) and Australia (ACT) (1990). She has extensive experience of advising financial institutions and multi-national employers in various sectors, and has a special interest in discrimination and privacy laws. Fiona is a former chair of the Employment Law Committee of the Hong Kong Law Society and is the chairwomen of the Legal Committee of the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce. She headed the employment and immigration law committee of the IPBA (Inter-Pacific Bar Association) for two terms, until 2013.
- Recent Recognition
Fiona's awards and rankings include the following:
- consistently ranked in band 1 and recognised as a "Leading Individual" for Employment Law, in Hong Kong by Chambers Asia and Asia-Pacific Legal 500, most recently in 2017
- voted as the "External Lawyer of the Year" by the Asian-Counsel In-House Community Awards (determined by votes of in-house lawyers practising in all disciplines, not just labour), in 2010
- recognised as a commended "External Counsel of the Year" by the Asian-Counsel In-House Community Counsels of the Year Awards, in 2011 and 2016
- named "Hong Kong Labour Lawyer of the Year" at China Staff Human Resources Awards, in 1998, 1999, 2004 and 2006
- named "Outstanding Practitioner" at the Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards, in 2014
- recognised as the "Leading Individual" for "Labour & employee benefits" in Hong Kong by PLC Which Lawyer? in 2012.
- "pre-eminent, very knowledgeable, and she has a great client following." (Chambers Asia 2017)
- "knows her stuff - she can give effective advice in a 2-minute phone call" (In-House Community 2016)
- "one of the best in the region. She's just excellent." (Chambers Asia 2016)
- "very approachable, extremely well known and well respected." (Chambers Asia 2015)
- "is the standout lawyer in town - she has the breadth of experience and is very calm, very professional and very hard-working" (Chambers Asia 2014)
- "absolutely dedicated to her practice and clients, and completely reliable" (Asia-Pacific Legal 500, 2014 edition)
- "a leading expert in employment", "very well respected and outstandingly clever" (Chambers Asia 2013)
- "very experienced", "well regarded" and "reccomended" (Asia-Pacific Legal 500 2013 edition)
- "a masterful practitioner", "there's little that she hasn't come across before" (Chambers Asia 2012)
- appreciated for her "knowledge of the market, commercial sense and ability to think outside the box" and "quick turnaround time, responsiveness and availability" (Chambers Asia 2011).