Darren is an expert in intellectual property law, with a practice which focuses on trade mark, copyright and design law disputes and advice. He has litigated at all levels in the UK, from the UK Intellectual Property Office to the UK Supreme Court. He has also fought cases at the EUIPO, the EUIPO Board of Appeal and the General Court of the EU.
Darren’s practice takes in a wide variety of sectors, in particular the media, technology, finance and FinTech sectors. To give a flavour, he has advised clients on intellectual property rights in relation to everything from cartoon characters to whisky bottles, clothing, knitting needles, lingerie, soft drinks, telecommunications services, television programmes, films and hotels. Darren is a proven innovator having developed ‘Simmons & Simmons Translator’, a software service to help clients deal with EU trade mark law reform along with other tools. For his work he received The Lawyer’s “Most Innovative Use of Technology” Award and was named by the Financial Times as “Young Innovator of the Year” at the FT Innovative Lawyer Awards 2017.
Darren also sits as a Deputy District Judge in both the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and the English County Court. He was named as a “Rising Star” in the UK four years in a row (2014-2017) by Expert Guides and Legal 500 says that his “level of legal expertise and organisational skills are ‘very impressive’” and “he is ‘a real pleasure to work with’”.
- Recent Work
- representing an investment manager in a High Court trade mark infringement clash
- advising an innovative internet fashion platform on a range of IP issues
- advising Crown Resorts on the protection of the Crown and Crown Aspinalls luxury hotel and casino brands
- advising Virgin Media on all aspects of brand protection
- advising The Saul Zaentz Company on the protection of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, the film rights to which it licenses from the Tolkien estat
- advising a number of big names in the FinTech world on their IP and brand protection strategies
- advising a leading firm of architects on copyright and moral right infringement issues in respect of a major London skyscraper development.
Darren graduated from University College London with a First Class LLB in Laws. He has a Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice from the University of Bristol.
As well as being a judge, Darren is also a Solicitor-Advocate and has acted as junior counsel in the UK Intellectual Property Office and the High Court. He is a former guest blogger for the leading IP blog, the IPKat, and continues to guest post; is widely published on current intellectual property issues; and is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice and INTA’s Famous and Well-Known Marks Committee.