Damian is a partner in the corporate and commercial group in Singapore. He has almost 20 years’ of transactional experience in Southeast Asia, advising companies and private investment funds on cross-border investments, acquisitions, disposals and joint ventures.
He advises private equity, venture capital and infrastructure funds, family offices and international organisations in relation to greenfield, early stage and growth capital investments, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions, across a range of sectors.
Damian is closely involved with fintech clients and the firm’s initiatives in this sector, which he coordinates for Southeast Asia.
He has 15 years' of experience advising clients on corporate and commercial transactions in the maritime and offshore energy sectors in particular, as well as international commodities trading houses on corporate transactions and commodities sale and purchase agreements.
- Recent Work
- the manager of a venture capital fund on various Series “A” investment transactions in relation to businesses engaged in food delivery, e-commerce, online fashion retail and cloud-based inventory management software-as-a-service
- a global infrastructure investor on its proposed investment in a joint venture with a major mining company for the purpose of acquiring a fleet of five ore carrying vessels to be operated under a 25-year contract of affreightment
- Guggenheim Partners in connection with marketing restrictions and trading regulations in various jurisdictions in SE Asia
- GoldenTree Asset Management in connection with its expansion and establishment in Asia
- Warwick Capital Partners LLP and Farallon Capital in connection with a co-investment, by way of both purchase of existing and subscription for new units, of a 45% interest in Greenship Bulk Trust, a registered business trust with a fleet of 16 low-consumption design Supramax bulk carriers
- Buss Capital on the US$410,000,000 disposal by one of its funds of 275,000 containers and related leases to US private equity investor Lindsay Golberg
- Maas Capital Investments and Siva Global Ships Limited on the structuring and negotiation of their US$60,000,000 co-investment alongside Swiber Holdings Limited in the SPV owner of a 3,000 ton derrick pipe-lay and accommodation work barge and advising Siva Global Ships Limited on its subsequent disposal to Fortress Investment Group LLC of its interest in the SPV owner
- ENGIE Trading on various matters relating to the sale, purchase and transport of coal, including in connection with a proposed investment by way of convertible bond into a pre-production coal mine in Indonesia.
Damian joined Simmons & Simmons in 2013 as a partner in the Singapore office. He was previously a partner in another international law firm in Singapore, where he has been based since 2000.