Colin is a partner in the Corporate department in London with almost 20 years’ experience of advising corporate and investment banking clients on a broad range of corporate finance transactions, in particular on securities offerings and listings on the London markets and on UK public and private mergers and acquisitions.
He is an equity capital markets (ECM) specialist with a deep understanding of market practice and considerable experience of representing both issuers and underwriters/sponsors on their high-profile transactions on the London equity markets.
Colin also has significant experience in mergers and acquisitions (both public and private), and in particular advising on M&A and M&A advisory transactions for banks and other financial institutions, and also regularly advises corporate and banking clients on UK corporate governance matters and corporate and securities law and regulation.
His experience spans a number of sectors, with a particular focus on acting for clients and on transactions in the financial institutions sector.
- Recent Work
- advising Sanne Group plc on its US$127.3m class 1 acquisition of the IFS Group and related £94.5m capital raising by way of firm placing and placing and open offer
- advising UBS on LabTech Investments Ltd.’s £892.5m takeover offer for Market Tech Holdings Limited
- advising Evercore and J.P. Morgan on ICAP plc’s £1.1bn merger of its global hybrid voice broking business with Tullet Prebon plc
- advising Cenkos Securities on GVC Holdings plc’s £150m placing in connection with its £1.116bn takeover of bwin.party digital entertainments plc, step-up of the enlarged group to the main market and subsequent transfer to premium listing
- advising Audley Capital and Orion Mine Finance on their US$300m acquisition of Anglo American Norte S.A. from Anglo American plc
- advising J.P. Morgan and Peel Hunt on Circassia Pharmaceuticals plc’s £275m placing and open offer in connection with its £139m class 1 acquisition of Aerocrine A.B. and £100m acquisition of Prosonix Limited
- advising J.P. Morgan, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Goldman Sachs on BT Group plc’s £1.0bn placing in connection with its £12.5bn class 1 acquisition of EE
- advising Jefferies, J.P. Morgan and Numis Securities on AO World plc’s (AO.com) £1.2bn Main Market IPO.
Colin joined Simmons & Simmons as a Corporate partner in September 2010. Previously, he was at the London office of another international law firm and in 2006 spent eight months on secondment to the EMEA ECM and M&A Transactions Legal team at UBS Investment Bank.
In 2009, Colin was recognised as one of the Top 40 Next Generation Dealmakers by MergerMarket.
Colin was admitted as a Solicitor, Scotland in 2000.