Charles advises a wide range of leading listed companies, investment banks and financial services businesses. Charles specialises in public/private partnerships, equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions transactions and the legal aspects of corporate governance/compliance, including advising on the Bribery Act.
He also has particular experience in the life sciences, financial services, aerospace and defence and transport sectors.
- Recent Work
- advising the Hogg Committee on the tender process for the transfer of the administration of LIBOR from the British Bankers’ Association
- advising the UK Government on the proposed £28 billion merger of BAE and EADS
advising the Ministry of Defence on the public/private partnership with Carlyle in relation to QinetiQ, including the £1.3bn IPO of QinetiQ on the Official List
- advising the selling shareholders of Specifar Pharmaceuticals S.A. on the US$562m acquisition of the company by Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc
- advising on the IPO of NetScientific plc and the ‘virtual’ acquisitions and AIM IPOs of Center Parcs and of Anker and on advising the IPOs of Plethora (UK), Endace (NZ) and Asian Citrus (China), Sinclair Pharma on its Main Market listings in London and Paris, Japaninvest on its Tokyo listing and CLSA as sponsor of the Hong Kong listing of RCG, the first Hong Kong Stock Exchange listing of an AIM traded company
- advising the UK Government on the Energy Technology Institute, a not for profit public/private partnership to research lower carbon energy to help tackle climate change.
Charles became a partner in 1992.
He is a member of the CBI Companies Committee.
Charles has been named as one of the leading M&A lawyers in Europe, recommended for high-end M&A, recognised for corporate governance advice and named as one of the most prominent lawyers advising on directors’ duties and liabilities.
- In the 2016 FT Innovative Lawyers’ Awards Charles and Matthew Pitman were ‘highly commended’ for their advice to the Department of Health (DH) to establish with DH, six global pharmaceutical companies and Alzheimer’s Research UK the world’s first investment fund for pre-clinical dementia research
- In the UK Legal 500 2015, Charles is ranked as among the leading lawyers in the UK for pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, recommended for premium M&A, flotations and rail, and described as “very astute”
- The Legal 500 2013 recommended Charles for premium M&A deals, describing him as “professional, resilient and tactful”
- Chambers UK 2012 said clients describe him as “greatly switched on in terms of giving you a proposal and a product that makes both business and legal sense”
- Chambers 2011 said “Charles Mayo earns widespread recognition for his work… clients describe him as “absolutely excellent”
- Chambers Global 2011 said clients describe Charles Mayo as “excellent – he is experienced, relaxed, pragmatic, and very sympathetic to our issues”.