Calvin's practice focuses on banking & finance. He has significant industry experience advising both lenders and borrowers in relation to complex financing and restructuring transactions, particularly transactions which are cross-border involving Asian, European and African jurisdictions. He also advises on restructuring & insolvency matters in Singapore and the region, as well as banking and lending regulatory matters.
- Recent Work
- advising Deutsche Bank and ING Bank as lead arrangers in relation to a US$385,000,000 structured copper pre-delivery term facility for the Fangyuan Group. This transaction has been awarded "Deal of the Year" at the Euromoney Trade Finance Awards 2017 and "Best Deal for 2016" by Global Trade Review
- advising a NYSE-listed fund manager on a multi-borrower multi-currency term loan facility from the International Finance Corporation for the purpose of financing an investment platform. The loan facility sits alongside an equity injection by the International Finance Corporation
- advising Standard Chartered Bank in relation to a revolving bridge facility to one of the largest regional private equity funds, secured by an assignment over subscription moneys
- advising an international bank on the restructuring of an existing Hermes-backed facility for Banglalink, one of the leading mobile phone operators in Bangladesh, to refinance the facility and to replace Hermes guarantee with cash collateral
- advising Natixis and Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited in respect of a borrowing base facility to Puma Energy secured by oil & gas inventory produced by the Napa Napa refinery in Papua New Guinea
- advising Axiata Group on a loan from the International Finance Corporation for its Bangladesh subsidiary, Robi Axiata Limited, for the purpose of upgrading Robi's 3G network and increasing its coverage and capacity in Bangladesh
- advising a Singapore-headquartered venture capital fund, on a series of its equity and quasi-equity investments into various technology-focused portfolio companies
- advising an international bank on its rights in connection with the restructuring of the Ezra Group
- advising an international bank on the enforcement of security over commodities in China in relation to a default under a domestic warehouse facility
- advising an international bank on the purchase and back-to-back on-sale restructured bonds to be issued by one of Indonesia's largest coal mining companies subject to multijurisdictional restructuring proceedings including in Indonesia, Singapore and the United States
- advising a major trading corporation on its rights in connection with the default and restructuring of bond obligations and related security in Indonesia
- advising an international bank on its guidelines and framework for distressed debt trades
- advising the liquidators in both compulsory and voluntary liquidations on a broad range of issues, including assisting in the sales of assets, dealings with creditors and prospective purchasers
- advising financial institutions and service providers on banking regulatory matters including Basel III/CRR and MAS 637 compliance issues, outsourcing and licensing for banking & lending activities.
Calvin is admitted in Singapore, New South Wales and England and Wales.