Bryn specialises in VAT with a particular focus on the telecommunications, media and technology sector. Bryn is particularly interested in the structuring of long-term service contracts to achieve a VAT efficient result. Bryn has previously undertaken secondments with a global bank and a global financial information company. This provides him with an insight into the challenges faced in the FinTech sector.
Bryn assists clients with all aspects of their VAT affairs. In particular, he works with clients to resolve technical disputes with HMRC prior to the commencement of litigation. As a chartered accountant and chartered tax advisor, Bryn can assist clients with all facets of an issue including the technical basis of their position, assistance with interrogation of the accounting system for the relevant data and financial modelling where there are gaps in the relevant data.
On a discrete basis, Bryn has advised businesses on the tour operator margin scheme (“TOMS”) and has secured substantial refunds from HMRC where businesses have over-accounted for VAT. Bryn also has an interest in asset leasing and hire purchase arrangements and the interaction between the direct tax, indirect tax and accounting treatments.
- Recent Work
- implementing a policy for a multi-national online marketplace in relation to the joint and several provisions including meeting with the HMRC policy team
- advising an e-sports gaming company through a VAT audit
- advising on the TOMS liability position as part of due diligence in multiple transactions
- submitting a reclaim to HMRC for breakage for a national telecommunications business
- VAT advice in relation to new legislation including vouchers and use and enjoyment
- analysis of whether clients have a fixed establishment in various EU countries and whether that establishment intervenes
- analysis and review of supply chain risks and negotiation with HMRC for European businesses
Bryn is a qualified Chartered Accountant (ICAS) and Chartered Tax Advisor (CIOT) and has worked in VAT for over eight years. Bryn has worked for two of the Big Four Accountancy Firms and at a multinational bank.
Bryn joined Simmons & Simmons as a tax principal in 2018.