Andrés has more than 30 years of experience in litigation issues, arbitration and bankruptcy proceedings. He is also experienced in corporate restructuring, insolvency and all types of civil and commercial procedures.
He is a secretary on the board of directors of a number of Spanish companies.
- Recent Work
- Director of the Spanish team advising a leading international bank on the insolvency of the group of companies that own Banco Santander’s headquarters (Ciudad Financiera del Santander), which involves several international financial institutions, and is one of the biggest insolvency matter currently in Spain
- advising a leading Spanish bank on two of the most significant insolvencies in Spain in recent times
- acting for a leading Spanish media group in proceedings for unfair competition
- advising one of the two leading groups of companies in the film distribution field in a voluntary bankruptcy proceedings, involving the 8 companies that are part of the group (1240 workers)
- representing a major Spanish bank in the international disputes regarding the stakeholders of the listed Spanish company in bankruptcy.
Andrés joined the Madrid office as a partner in 2007 as a result of the merger of Simmons & Simmons and Mochales & Palacios. He is the Spanish Country Head and national practice group head of the dispute resolution and insolvency group in Spain.
Prior to joining the firm he was a legal advisor in Corporación Bancaria, S.A. as well as in the Fondo de Garantía de Depósitos en Establecimientos Bancarios (the Fund for guarantying bank´s deposits) where he acquired extensive experience in insolvency law and litigation, actively intervening in the 70’s-80’s bank crisis in Spain.
In 1986 he founded Mochales & Palacios, he currently teaches commercial contracts in the LLM of the Instituto de Empresa, a leading business school in Madrid. He is also a professor in the 2014/15 IE Advanced Course of Insolvency Law. Andrés has participated as speaker and/or moderator in all the editions of the Insolvency Law National Congress organised annually by the Instituto de Empresa, which is sponsored by Simmons & Simmons and other law firms.
Andrés Mochales was recognized as a "disputes specialist" in insolvency proceedings in Chambers Europe 2010. He has also been recognised by clients in Chambers Global 2013 as "a great lawyer for complex matters" and in Legal 500, 2013 as “a key name for commercial disputes and contentious insolvency cases, is praised for his tenacity, client focus and promptness to answer”. In Chambers Europe 2014, insolvency and restructuring practice, clients commented that “he is an excellent litigation and insolvency practitioner who achieves the best solutions. He is proactive and always available". In the insolvency and restructuring practice of Legal 500 2014 he was ranked and mentioned as an “expert” who has “an excellent reputation in the Spanish market”. In the dispute resolution practice, clients interviewed said Andrés “litigates with brilliance”, and the value for money is “impossible to beat”. In Chambers 2015, Andrés Mochales was ranked in band 2 in Insolvency. Clients appreciate Andrés Mochales of Simmons & Simmons LLP for his experience in insolvency matters:; "For Spanish insolvency law we need to have a counsel who understands how to implement these laws on a case-by-case basis. Andrés has the expertise and knowledge of managing different situations".
Andrés has been a member of the Bar Association of Madrid since 1979.