Allan specialises in prime brokerage, derivatives, derivatives regulation and structured products. He advises asset managers (both hedge and institutional) on all aspects of their trading relationships with market counterparties, including prime brokerage, derivatives and other trading agreements. He also provides specialist advice to clients in relation to derivatives regulation in Europe (EMIR).
In addition, he advises investment banks and other corporate and financial institutions on a full range of derivative products in over the counter, securities and fund wrappers, focusing particularly on tailored derivative transactions, such as corporate equity derivatives, structured repos and structured credit derivatives.
He has extensive in house experience, having spent over seven years of his career as senior in house legal counsel at two leading US investment banks.
- Recent Work
- advising hedge fund managers on prime brokerage and trading documentation with all major prime brokers, including asset and collateral segregation structures
- advising a large hedge fund manager in relation to OTC clearing documentation
- advising a large institutional asset manager on its implementation of EMIR and Dodd-Frank
- advising AIMA in relation to its Guide to Sound Practices in respect of OTC clearing
- advising a major investment bank on structured repurchase transactions
- advising a hedge fund manager on structured credit derivative transactions.
Allan joined Simmons & Simmons as a partner in August 2008 from Bear Stearns, where he was a Managing Director Principal and head of the legal team covering the equity and fund derivatives, prime brokerage and asset management businesses in Europe and the Middle East.
He previously worked for three years in the equity derivatives legal team at JPMorgan Chase and for five years in the derivatives and financial markets group at a major international law firm. He qualified as a barrister in 1995, as a solicitor in 1998 and is based in our London office.
Allan is a regular speaker and panellist at external conferences organised by ISDA, AIMA, IMA and other industry bodies on a variety of topics on derivatives and derivatives regulation.
He is recognised in Legal 500 2014 as a “key buy-side adviser” who “gives clear and concise advice, with excellent market knowledge.”