Alfonso Fernández-Puebla Muñiz
Alfonso focuses on real estate acquisitions and disposals, sale and lease-backs, leases, real estate development and real estate financing.
The usual subject matters of the transactions Alfonso is involved in are offices, shopping centres/retail and logistics. In recent years he has also created a practice of residential development and redevelopment.
- Recent Work
- advice to funds managed by an US International Fund Manager in the acquisition of 11 hypermarkets leased to a major Spanish retailer for an amount of €358m
- advising a Scottish International Fund Manager in the sale of a Business Park located in the largest deal acoomplished by this entity in Spain
- advice to funds managed by an US International Fund Manager in the acquisition of a luxury brand flagship store in Barcelona for an amount of €45m
- advising a Spanish SOCIMI in the acquisition of a shopping centre located in Alicante, Spain, for an amount of €42.5m
- advice to funds managed by an US International Fund Manager in the acquisition of an office building located in Barcelona for an approximate amount of €35m
- advising a Spanish SOCIMI in the refinancing by a Dutch Bank of the acquisition of debt related to a shopping centre located in Lugo, Spain
- advising a Spanish SOCIMI in the refinancing by a Spanish Bank of the acquisition of debt related to a warehouse leased to a major technology retailer in Madrid and to an office building sited in Madrid.
Alfonso joined Simmons & Simmons in 2017, as a Partner and Head of Real Estate in Spain.
Alfonso graduated with a degree in Law from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid in 1997. He qualified with a masters in Business Law from Centro Europeo de Estudios y Formación Empresarial in 1998, centre which belongs to J&A Garrigues Abogados y Asesores Tributarios. He worked at one of the largest Spanish law firms as a senior lawyer in the Real Estate department (1998-2003), as well as an in-house lawyer of a JV formed by a local Spanish real estate developer. In addition, Alfonso worked as an international investor (2003-2006). In 2006, Alfonso had then worked at another leading Spanish law firm as Partner and Head of their Real Estate department; leaving the firm in 2017.
Alfonso is noted for his excellent technical skills and his practical approach to negotiations, with clients saying: "he is good at achieving a win-win situation" and that "he is experienced handling portfolio transactions and financing matters" (Chambers Europe 2018). In addition, he is recommended by clients for his empathy and rigour, particularly they value the fact that "he is very transparent, clear and he respects time" (Chambers 2017).