Simmons & Simmons advises Franklin Templeton on its acquisition of Edinburgh Partners
22 Jan 2018
The firm has advised Franklin Templeton Investments on the acquisition of independent fund manager Edinburgh Partners, which is headed up by Dr Sandy Nairn, former director of research at Templeton Global Equity Group. The transaction is subject to regulatory approvals and is expected to be completed in the first half of 2018. The terms of the transaction are confidential.
Edinburgh Partners runs two investment companies; the £145m Edinburgh Partners Global Opportunities trust, launched in 2003, and the £404m European Investment Trust, launched in 1972 and taken over by the firm in 2010 from F&C Management. It also runs a number of open-ended institutional mandates such as the European Opportunities and Emerging Opportunities funds. In total, Edinburgh Partners manages approximately £7.2bn as of 31 December 2017. Dr Nairn will become Chairman of the Templeton Global Equity Group.
Franklin Resources, Inc. (NYSE:BEN) is a global investment management organization operating as Franklin Templeton Investments. Franklin Templeton Investments provides global and domestic investment management to retail, institutional and sovereign wealth clients in over 170 countries. Through specialized teams, the company has expertise across all asset classes - including equity, fixed income, alternative and custom solutions. The company’s more than 650 investment professionals are supported by its integrated, worldwide team of risk management professionals and global trading desk network. With offices in over 30 countries, the California-based company has more than 70 years of investment experience and $753bn in assets under management as of 31 December 2017. For more information, please visit investors.franklinresources.com.
Colin Leaver, head of Asset Management and Investment Funds at Simmons & Simmons commented “We are delighted to have had the opportunity to work with Franklin Templeton on this acquisition, we have seen a lot of M&A activity in the sector over the last 18 months and we see this continuing over the next few years,” he continued “Our multi-disciplinary team were able to provide Franklin Templeton with a great deal of sector knowledge and insight enabling the deal to move as quickly as it did.”
In recent months the firm has also advised Invesco on the acquisition of Source Holdings and Principal Global Investors (PGI) on the acquisition of INTERNOS, a London based European real estate Investment Manager. In addition, the firm also advised Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation on its role as lead shareholder in the £11bn merger of Aberdeen and Standard Life.
Notes to editors:
- Simmons & Simmons has a highly specialised international Asset Management and Investment Funds team. Ranked stand-alone number 1 firm for hedge funds by Legal 500, Simmons & Simmons has one of the largest asset management practices, and the largest hedge fund practice in Europe. The firm has more than 30 partners in the London office alone advising the firm’s alternative asset management clients on a regular basis. The team acts for 37 of the top 50 European hedge fund managers, and for 16 of the top 20 US hedge fund managers.
- Simmons & Simmons has an alliance with US firm Seward & Kissel LLP for hedge fund and asset management work. The alliance combines the strength of preeminent hedge fund and asset management practices in London, New York and Hong Kong to offer a top tier combined service for hedge funds and their managers around the world. Clients have immediate access to full service hedge fund and asset management expertise: from fund formation and management, to all advisory services such as regulation, derivatives, corporate structures, tax, litigation, employment, IP, finance, government investigations and transactional services.
- We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
- Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp.
- Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
- For further information, please contact Waheed Aslam, Asset Management & Investment Funds Sector Lead on +44 207 825 4162 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.