Firm Underlines Commitment to Innovation with Launch of Dedicated Group
22 Nov 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has launched an Innovation Group with the main focus being to accelerate the generation, development and adoption of new ways of delivering value to clients.
The group, which is made up of partners and business service professionals from across the firm with a track record of leading on innovation, was launched in May of this year. The group’s aim to is to encourage innovative thinking and an innovative culture at the firm, while also assessing the suitability of ideas and products that are put forward by employees for further investment.
Ben McGuire, chief operating officer of the group, commented, ‘The legal services sector is evolving rapidly and now more than ever our priority is the delivery of an excellent service to our clients focused on their business priorities and objectives. What we are proposing with the innovation group is an entirely different way of thinking and this is something that will embed into the culture of our firm. Our people, no matter their level of seniority, will be given the space and support to reflect on our clients’ needs and experience of our service and come up with new ideas that will not only deliver value directly to our clients, but also ensure we release value to them by developing more efficient internal processes’.
Jonathan Hammond, international financial markets group head and chairman of the group, added, ‘We are committed to developing and sustaining a culture and infrastructure that inspires our people, sets in motion their creativity and rewards their contributions. In the past, the firm has shown itself to be innovative in some areas but now we are looking to really harness this creative spirit and focus on ideas that could change the way we work and the service we deliver to our client base’.
Members of the Innovation Group include partners Angus McLean, Charlotte Stalin, Nick Skerrett and Caroline Hunter-Yeats, all of whom have a history of innovating at the firm. Charlotte Stalin was awarded “Legal Innovator of the Year” at the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2016 in October. The firm also received the award for “Innovation in legal expertise: Speed and process” for work on a tax litigation matter led by Nick Skerrett and the firm’s eDiscovery function, managed by Caroline Hunter-Yeats, received a 'Highly commended' accolade for “Innovation in technology and data analytics” at the prestigious awards. Separately Angus McLean recently launched the first FinTech Fund of its kind, aimed at supporting FinTech start-ups dealing with complex legal issues at the infancy of their business.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. The firm's commitment to innovation includes a partner-led Innovation Group. The group is derived from the firm’s long standing history of innovation, which has been rewarded through numerous award wins to include the firm’s recent double award win at the Prestigious FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2016. We also received a number of other accolades for innovation at these awards; ‘Highly commended' Innovation in technology and data analytics for our eDiscovery solution; 'Highly commended' Innovation in strategic collaborations for clients for Dementia Discovery Fund; 'Commended' Innovation in strategic collaborations for clients for advising GSK on establishment of Apollo Therapeutics; 'Commended' Innovation in technology and data analytics for MiFID2 Manager.
4. The Simmons & Simmons FinTech Fund was announced on 25 May and formally launched at the firm’s annual legal update for the TMT sector the following day. It has been shortlisted for the Legal Services Innovation Award at the upcoming British Legal Awards (to be announced 24 November).
5. Simmons & Simmons navigator is our sector-leading online subscription service, covering key areas of financial services and tax regulation. Since 2007, Simmons & Simmons navigator has provided cost-effective access to user friendly, comprehensive and regularly updated information regarding the key regulatory and tax issues. Available on a subscription basis, navigator is available through elexica, our award winning online legal resource, providing 24/7, global access. Click here to find out more about our suite of navigator products.
6. Simmons & Simmons has set itself apart from other law firms in its eDiscovery capability. Since 2008 we have run and managed the market leading eDiscovery platform, Relativity, in-house, and we have invested in that technology. Importantly, we have also created a team of highly experienced, in-house consultancy experts who specialise in electronic disclosure and document review efficiency. Our ‘eDiscovery Solutions team’ links Simmons & Simmons’ recognised expertise in Litigation and Regulatory Investigations with these innovative technical capabilities.
7. Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
8. For further information, please contact Jodi Young, Head of Marketing & Communications on +44 207 825 3134 or email@example.com or Lauryn McKinney Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org