Firm Advising on $1 Billion Fund to Tackle Climate Change
07 Nov 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons is advising on a ten year $1 billion collaborative investment fund designed to tackle climate change on a global scale.
Last week, the Oil and Gas Climate Initiative (OGCI) announced an investment of $1 billion over the next ten years, to develop and accelerate the commercial deployment of innovative low emissions technologies.
In their joint statement, the heads of the ten oil and gas companies that comprise the OGCI said: “The creation of OGCI Climate Investments shows our collective determination to deliver technology on a large-scale that will create a step change to help tackle the climate challenge. We are personally committed to ensuring that by working with others our companies play a key role in reducing the emissions of greenhouse gases, while still providing the energy the world needs.”
Intellectual property partner Michael Gavey, commented, “The firm has a strong track record of supporting high profile international multi-party collaborations in both the energy and life sciences sectors. In this instance, with advances in technology seen as critical to developing climate change solutions, we are pleased to offer our combined funds, corporate governance, intellectual property, competition, tax and regulatory expertise to provide a complete solution.”
The cross practice Simmons & Simmons team is being led by partner Michael Gavey supported by Charles Mayo (corporate), Matthew Pitman (funds), Tony Woodgate (competition), Martin Shah (tax) and others around the firm.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the Energy & Infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp.
3. The Oil and Gas Climate Initiative is designed to catalyze practical action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Led by the heads of ten oil and gas companies that aim to lead the industry response to climate change, OGCI member companies - BP, CNPC, Eni, Pemex, Reliance Industries, Repsol, Saudi Aramco, Shell, Statoil and Total - together represent one fifth of the world’s oil and gas production. The OGCI was established following discussions during the 2014 World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, and was officially launched at the UN Secretary General’s Climate Summit in New York in September 2014. To learn more about OGCI, visit oilandgasclimateinitiative.com.
4. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
5. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons.
6. For further information, please contact Jodi Young, Head of Marketing & Communications on + 44 20 7825 3134 or at email@example.com, or Lauryn McKinney, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.