Firm Promotes Seven to Partnership in 2016
01 May 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has today announced that it has promoted seven of its lawyers to its partnership this year*.
Commenting on the promotions, Senior Partner Colin Passmore, said: "These individuals all exemplify our high performance culture and values through their ambition, expertise, commitment and collegiality, and It is a pleasure to be announcing these promotions. Again this year, they recognise the range of talent that exists across our practice areas and our offices that has been key to our development over the past few years."
The new partners are:
Sarah Bailey – Paris / Dispute Resolution
Sarah joined Simmons & Simmons in London in 1990 and moved to the Paris office in September 1991 where she became Avocat à la Cour in December 1995. She specialises in soft IP and is responsible for the day to day running of the Intellectual Property group in Paris which is recognised as a leading practice in the French market. Sarah advises on all aspects involved in the creation, exploitation and protection of trade marks, design rights, copyrights and domain names and is also well versed on the issues relating to unfair competition, dealing with both contentious and non-contentious matters. Sarah also deals with data protection and advertising matters. As an active member of INTA, the French Trademark association APRAM, and a Regulatory Committee member for MARQUES, Sarah is regularly approached to speak at conferences held by these organisations.
Christian Bornhorst – Dusseldorf / Corporate & Commercial
Christian joined the firm in 2013. He specialises in national and international mergers and acquisitions, with a specific focus on infrastructure (especially ports and airports) and real estate investments by institutional asset and fund managers and private equity transactions. Christian also advises on general corporate matters (joint ventures, carve-outs and restructurings), M&A related post-merger integrations, and corporate reorganizations. His clients involve companies from the energy, infrastructure and the TMT sectors as well as asset managers and private equity firms.
Eva Chan – Hong Kong / Financial Markets
Eva joined the firm in 2005. She specialises in authorised/registered investment funds (listed and unlisted) including exchange traded funds (ETFs), futures and options funds, UCITS funds, hedge funds and structured funds. She has advised on and been involved in more than half of the ETFs listed in Hong Kong. Eva has also advised on fund restructurings, deauthorisation and on-going compliance issues in relation to authorised investment funds. She is already recommended as a ‘leading lawyer’ in a number of international legal directories including IFLR and Chambers & Partners. Eva is also the co-head for Women in ETFs chapter on WE Asia Pacific - Finance and Operations.
Hatice Ismail – London / Financial Markets
Hatice joined the firm as a trainee in 2003. She advises on all aspects of corporate tax, including M&A/corporate, restructuring, structured finance, cross-border and real estate transactions, focusing on clients in the asset management and investment funds and financial institutions sectors. Hatice also advises on the taxation of investment funds and their managers, stamp taxes and VAT. In recent years, Hatice has developed a specialist practice advising on FATCA and similar regimes and is a member of the Alternative Investment Management Association’s Automatic Exchange of Information working group.
Augusto Santoro – Milan / Corporate & Commercial
Augusto joined the firm as a trainee in 2005. He specialises in corporate and equity capital markets. Augusto is head of the equity capital markets practice in Italy and has considerable experience in advising Italian and international clients (both financial institutions and issuers) on complex and innovative equity and convertible debt transactions such as public M&A deals, IPO, takeover bids, securities transactions and regulatory aspects as well as on management and leveraged buyouts, private equity and venture capital investments. Augusto is also regularly approached for his commentary and expertise by international legal journals and specialised press in Italy.
Alexander Thavenot – London / Dispute Resolution
Alexander joined the firm’s financial markets litigation group in 2012. He specialises in handling complex disputes and cross-border investigations for financial institutions, with a particular focus on wholesale banking and wealth management. Alexander has acted on a wide range of disputes involving structured products, derivatives, asset financing, and commodities. He has also completed secondments to the UK litigation and investigations teams of two global financial institutions.
David Toole – London / Financial Markets
David joined the firm in 2013. He is a structured capital markets specialist advising arrangers, issuers and counterparties on a wide range of derivatives and structured capital markets products in both securitised and OTC formats. He has a particular focus on equity and fund-linked products, regulatory capital credit risk mitigation products and repackagings.
*Subject to standard regulatory approvals.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons
5. For further information, or requests for images please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org , or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email email@example.com