Firm Advises on Fletcher Hotels Chain Management Buy-out
31 May 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised the Fletcher foundation and its holders of depositary receipts, including founder Chris Luken, on the sale of the Fletcher hotel chain in a management buy-out.
The buy-out was led by CEO Rob Hermans and CFO Edwin van Heteren, together with their equity partners NIBC Mezzanine & Equity Partners and the Luxembourg-based Xead Group. The transaction comprises the portfolio of hotels and accompanying real estate.
Having gained a reputation for his entrepreneurship and renowned for coming up with the innovative "Hotelbon" couponing device before founding the Fletcher hotel chain, Chris Luken commented: "I cannot but express my great pleasure about the course of the process. I am more than happy with my choice of Simmons & Simmons. Rob Hendriks and his team were on top of things from the very start. They showed great resolve, with a result to match."
Rob Hendriks, partner at Simmons & Simmons continued: "This matter was particularly significant because of the auction process with a number of bidders joining in, and because of the result: a management buy-out with NIBC and Xead as equity partners. There were so many interests and positions at stake throughout the process that maintaining unity proved a complex but ultimately rewarding task."
The Simmons & Simmons team was led by partner Rob Hendriks and further comprised Martijn Stuart (associate), Michiel Wurfbain (counsel), Pieter de Visser (associate) and Maureen Hovens (associate).
Vendor Due Diligence advice was provided by Luc Cohen (partner), Sandra Voet-van de Wijdeven (counsel), Cathelijne Otte (supervising associate), Martijn Stuart (associate), Anne-Fleur van ’t Hooft (associate), Lisa Durian (associate), and Birte Kersten (associate).
The firm's competition team in Brussels also supported the transaction, consisting of Koen Platteau (partner) and Geneviève Borremans (supervising associate).
Financial aspects were supported by Marieke Driessen (partner), Marcus Prozesky (associate) and Niek Groenendijk (associate) took care of the financial aspects. Peter Flipsen (partner) and Pim Duteweert (lawyer) handled the tax aspects.
The notarial side of the deal was handled by Oscar Hoefnagels (partner) and Siemkje Batenburg (supervising associate).
The transaction was executed on 19 May 2016.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons.
5. The firm's Amsterdam office comprises 75 lawyers, (junior) civil-law notaries and tax advisors. They offer a wide range of specialist expertise, providing national and international clients with multi-disciplinary legal advice.
6. For further information or to arrange an interview with Angus McLean, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at email@example.com, or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org