Firm Supports Terrawatt Initiative in Conjunction with International Renewable Energy Agency
28 Jun 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has announced that it will be supporting the Terrawatt Initiative (TWI), on a pro bono basis, working in conjunction with the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). The firm will be working alongside other legal consultants to develop a standardised set of project agreements for the development of solar projects worldwide
The objective of this standardisation project is to bring down the transaction costs and increase the transparency of risk allocation for these comparatively simpler projects to attract a targeted USD1 trillion of private capital.
The initial introductory meeting took place on 21 June 2016 in Munich and of counsel at the firm, Bree Miechel, who is based in the firm’s Singapore office, joined the discussions representing Simmons & Simmons.
Bree Miechel, a specialist project development and procurement lawyer, commented: "Having worked on a wide range of renewables, in particular solar power in a range of jurisdictions, we are delighted to bring our expertise to this exciting initiative. We also undertake an extensive amount of pro bono work, so to be able to combine these two areas of focus is a fantastic opportunity for the firm and will hopefully make all the difference to the development of solar projects worldwide.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the Energy & Infrastructure market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. Simmons & Simmons was one of the first international law firms to focus on the renewables sector. We have worked on a wide range of renewables and low carbon technologies, and in particular solar power, in a
range of jurisdictions. We advise on all legal aspects of solar projects including project financing, mergers and acquisitions, commercial contracts and regulatory matters.
4. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
5. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons
6. For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at email@example.com
, or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org