Advising Online Sports Apparel Retailer Fanatics
16 Feb 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised US-based $3.1bn sports apparel retailer, Fanatics, on its £11.55m acquisition of sports apparel retailer, Kitbag, from London Stock Exchange listed online retailer Findel.
Fanatics powers the merchandising websites of every major sports league in the US and, with the acquisition of Manchester-based Kitbag, has opened up new territories and markets and is well positioned for further growth.
Kitbag operates a similar but more European-focused business and has partner agreements with an extensive list of international football club sides including Real Madrid, Manchester United and Celtic, along with iconic global brands such as Formula One, Le Tour De France and Wimbledon.
Simmons & Simmons advised on a range of specialist aspects of the transaction, including real estate, tax, competition, employment and pensions matters as well as significant e-commerce and IP-related aspects surrounding Kitbag’s contractual arrangements with its wide-ranging catalogue of sports brands.
Commenting on the transaction, lead partner, Arthur Stewart said: “This was an exciting and challenging transaction, completed on an accelerated timetable, involving multiple specialists from across the firm advising Fanatics as they take this significant step into new markets across Europe.”
The Simmons & Simmons team was led by Arthur Stewart and Danielle Di Pietro, assisted by Annabel Stark (Corporate), Angus McLean and James Agnew (Intellectual Property), Lawrence Brown and Charlotte Reeson (Information, Communications & Technology), Charles Bankes and Shachi Nathdwarawala (Competition) and Darren Oswick and Zoe Arnautov (Tax).
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons
5. Clients of our corporate practice include national and multinational corporations, leading financial institutions, asset managers and investment funds, governments and industry bodies. With a team of over 250 corporate lawyers based across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we are known for handling complex and innovative domestic and cross-border transactions. Core areas of focus for the UK corporate practice include mergers & acquisitions (including public takeovers), equity capital markets, private equity, joint ventures and strategic alliances, demergers and corporate restructurings, auction sales, investments by hedge funds, commercial and consumer law, corporate governance and general corporate advisory. The ability to service clients operating in highly regulated markets is a common theme across all our work.
6. For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email email@example.com