Advising Meijer Realty Partners on Acquisition of a.s.r Vastgoed Ontwikkeling
15 Apr 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised Meijer Realty Partners on its acquisition of a.s.r. Vastgoed Ontwikkeling, the coveted Dutch company that holds a.s.r.’s real estate development business. Transfer of a.s.r. Vastgoed Ontwikkeling (‘the company’) is planned for the end of April 2016.
This was a particularly substantial and complex acquisition given the company’s business consists of eight prominent projects in the Netherlands, most of which combine a mix of offices, retail and housing, of which development is underway. This includes: De Zuid Norfolk in Scheveningen (EUR 180 million), the redevelopment of Kruisvaartkade in Utrecht (200 housing units), the next stages of the Meerrijk residential development in Eindhoven (EUR 190 million), Catharinasteeg/Aalmarkt in Leiden (EUR 40 million), Osdorpplein in Amsterdam (30,000 m2 plus 340 housing units and 700 parking spaces), Prisma Bedrijvenpark in Bleiswijk (80 hectares), Oosterheem in Zoetermeer and the redevelopment project for Post Utrecht of the former post office at Neude in Utrecht (15,500 m2).
Meijer Realty Partners is an investment vehicle of one of the founders of MAB and Meijer Bergman. Simmons & Simmons has been assisting Meijer Realty Partners with reaching its goal of becoming one of the main project developers/investors in the Netherlands with a portfolio of over EUR 1 billion, through this transaction and other deals such as the acquisition of Megastores in the Hague (EUR 66 million).
Partner in the firm’s corporate group, Rob Hendriks, who led the team commented: “Our team of experts, consisting of lawyers, civil law notaries and tax advisors, worked in very close cooperation with Meijer Realty Partners to successfully achieve another acquisition for their company. This specific deal is ground breaking because it includes a significant portfolio of multi-purpose projects at A-locations which are still under development, rather than being a single purpose project that is already fully completed. We are pleased to work with a renowned project developer with such extensive experience like Meijer Realty Partners, and to continue supporting them on the ongoing, successful growth of their business.”
Bart Meijer, CEO of Meijer Realty Partners: “We are more than delighted with the planned acquisition of a.s.r. Vastgoed Ontwikkeling. It is a great business with a history of successful and creative property development projects throughout the Netherlands. The Simmons & Simmons team has advised us in a very effective and professional way. Thanks to their ongoing support, we were able to close the transaction successfully and on time.”
In addition to partner Rob Hendriks and associate Martijn Stuart, the full Simmons & Simmons team included Luc Cohen (partner), Sandra Voet-van de Wijdeven (counsel), Andrea Chao (managing associate), Gijs ter Braak (deputy civil law notary), Siemkje Batenburg (deputy civil law notary) and Maureen Hovens (associate).
Meijer Realty Partners was also advised by Fakton and KPMG.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons
5. Meijer Realty Partners is an asset manager and co-investor in commercial real estate it acquires in the Netherlands and Germany.MRP, an investment vehicle of one of the founders of MAB and Meijer Bergman, has four decades of experience in investing in and developing real estate.
6. a.s.r. is the Dutch insurance company for all types of insurance. Via the a.s.r., De Amersfoortse, Ditzo, Ardanta and Europeesche Verzekeringen brands, a.s.r. offers a wide range of financial products covering non-life, life and income protection insurance, group and individual pensions, health insurance, and travel and leisure, and funeral expenses insurance. Besides insurance products, the a.s.r. product range includes savings and investment products and bank savings products. a.s.r. also invests in real estate development and operations.
7. For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at email@example.com , or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email firstname.lastname@example.org