Advising APG on New £1.4bn Joint Venture
08 Apr 2016
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised APG, one of Europe’s largest pension fund asset managers, on the merger of the Elephant & Castle and “East Village” residential projects to create a £1.4bn joint venture with Delancey and Qatari Diar in the UK’s private rented market.
In 2013, Simmons & Simmons advised APG on the residential investment joint venture entered into with property investor, Delancey, to deliver the new Elephant & Castle town centre project. The merger of the two private rented schemes will, upon completion, create an equal partnership between the founding investors behind the enterprises.
Commenting on the transaction, corporate partner Gideon Sharp said: "It was a pleasure to continue to work with the APG team on this complex landmark deal. We are proud to have helped APG achieve its next strategic milestone as it continues to grow its investments in the UK property market. This transaction showcased the firm’s strength in the asset management and real estate sectors and combined specialist expertise from across our practice areas."
The Simmons & Simmons team was led by corporate partners Gideon Sharp and Jason Daniel and real estate partner Ali Crosthwaite, supported by Danielle Di Pietro, Tom Fricke, Annabel Stark (corporate), Mark Saunders, Gunraj Arora (real estate), Christian Silk (planning), Steve McNab, Sarah-Jane Denton, Patrick Timmins (environment), Kim Fowler (construction), Nick Cronkshaw, Elizabeth Keaveny (tax), Peter Broadhurst, Douglas Cadbury (competition), Cara Sykes, Tariq Hameed and William Greig (banking), Michele Balfe (Employment), Sarwar Zaman, Edward Smith (Pensions & Incentives), Charlotte Reeson (ICT), Jack Simmons (IP), Cherie Spinks and Stephen Gentle (Litigation).
Notes to editors:
Completion of the transaction remains subject to competition clearance.
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We also focus on the E&I market, in particular through our international projects and construction teams. We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. For all firmwide news and expert commentary, visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
4. News is also published via the firm’s page on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/company/simmons-&-simmons
5. Clients of our corporate practice include national and multinational corporations, leading financial institutions, asset managers and investment funds, governments and industry bodies. With a team of over 250 corporate lawyers based across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we are known for handling complex and innovative domestic and cross-border transactions. Core areas of focus for the UK corporate practice include mergers & acquisitions (including public takeovers), equity capital markets, private equity, joint ventures and strategic alliances, demergers and corporate restructurings, auction sales, investments by hedge funds, commercial and consumer law, corporate governance and general corporate advisory. The ability to service clients operating in highly regulated markets is a common theme across all our work.
6. For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3764 or email email@example.com