Firm Advises Adherium on Groundbreaking Digital Health Technology Agreement
31 Jul 2015
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised medical device and technology company, Adherium (NZ) Limited (‘Adherium’), on a groundbreaking long-term supply and development agreement to supply its digital health ‘Smartinhaler’™ to AstraZeneca AB (‘AstraZeneca’).
Adherium is a New Zealand-based company which uses digital health technology to address sub-optimal medication use and remote patient management in chronic disease, primarily respiratory disease. Its novel Smartinhaler™ devices attach to a person’s inhaler and provide medication use data which can be viewed via a mobile phone app or other digital interfaces.
Adherium has entered into a long-term supply and development agreement with AstraZeneca for the supply of various of its Smartinhaler™ devices for use with AstraZeneca’s inhaler range. AstraZeneca and Adherium have also agreed arrangements for ongoing research and development activities about their inhaler technologies.
The Simmons & Simmons team comprised Richard Binns (IP) and Charles Mayo (Corporate), assisted by James Agnew (IP) and George Morris (IT/Data).
Commenting on the transaction Richard Binns and Charles Mayo said: “we are very pleased to have advised Adherium on this breakthrough technology transaction. It’s always rewarding to assist clients in the emerging sector of digital health. This demonstrates the value of our approach: combining our in depth knowledge of both the life sciences and TMT sectors with our proven expertise in supporting innovative growth businesses."
Commenting on the transaction, Garth Sutherland (Adherium’s Chief Executive Officer), said: "we believe this agreement is a world-first commercial scale arrangement combining digital health technology with leading inhaled medications to improve health outcomes for patients with respiratory conditions. Simmons & Simmons corporate and intellectual property guidance was invaluable. Richard, Charles, James and George have a deep understanding of the pharmaceutical and medical device world that was highly relevant. This has resulted in a robust, long term, commercial agreement."
Notes to editors:
- We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
- Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp.
- Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
- Simmons & Simmons international life sciences group comprises over 100 lawyers in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, many with scientific qualifications, and advises leading global pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers as well as biotechs and healthcare establishments.
- Our internationally recognised Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) practice is a multi-disciplinary group of lawyers with specialist skills covering all aspects of the TMT sector including commercial/transactional, regulatory, corporate/M&A, finance, competition, outsourcing, employment and pensions, intellectual property, dispute resolution, real estate and tax advice.
- For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3962 or at email@example.com or Lauryn Mann, Communications & PR Executive on +44 207 825 3764 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.