Firm completes the sale of the Defence Support Group for client the UK Ministry of Defence
01 Apr 2015
International law firm Simmons & Simmons advised long-standing client the UK Ministry of Defence (‘MOD’) on the sale of the Defence Support Group (‘DSG’) which completed as planned on 31 March 2015.
The transaction is one of the largest and most high-profile sales of Government assets and the sale process was conducted within an unusually short timescale for a transaction of this size and complexity – 12 months from publication of the OJEU notice to announcement of preferred bidder. The £900 million, 10-year service provision contract placed with a subsidiary of Babcock International in December 2014 comes into effect from today.
The contract will transform the way the Army’s vehicles are maintained, repaired and stored and has the potential to grow to around £2 billion as a result of plans, subject to value for money, to optimise a broader scope of services.
The Simmons & Simmons team was led by partners Charles Mayo and Richard Armitage assisted by managing associate Victoria Hewitt, senior solicitor Kim Fowler and associate Jo Spalding with involvement from partners Iain Macfarlane, Richard Binns, Andrea Finn, Steven McNab and Darren Oswick and associates Lydia Torne, Michele Balfe, James Taylor, Coralie McKeivor and Jack Rutherford. Working in conjunction with the MOD’s in-house lawyers Robert Chesterman and Peter Thompson, the firm advised on the corporate, projects, employment, pensions, contracts, IP and IT aspects of the sale.
Notes to editors:
- We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
- Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp.
- Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
- For more detail on the transaction, please see link to earlier summary on the sale of DSG: http://www.simmons-simmons.com/en/News/2014/12-December/Firm-Advises-the-UK-Ministry-of-Defence-on-the-Sale-of-the-Defence-Support-Group
- For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.