Firm Advises Venture Life Group on Two Life Sciences Transactions
01 Apr 2015
International law firm Simmons & Simmons has advised Venture Life Group plc (‘Venture Life’), the international consumer products group addressing the selfcare needs of the ageing population, on the disposal of a number of international trademarks for one of its dermatology products.
This cross border transaction involved the disposal of the majority of its trade mark portfolio to an Italian company, along with signing a manufacturing agreement relating to the products with Biokosmes, a company based in Lecco acquired by Venture Life in 2014. An additional agreement was also signed relating to the use of Venture Life’s distribution network by the purchaser in various countries.
The Simmons & Simmons team included corporate partner Charles Mayo and senior associate Carlotta Robbiano, based in London, and IP partner Laura Orlando, assisted by associate Rocco Lanzavecchia, in Milan.
This is the second transaction on which the firm has advised Venture Life this year, following the team’s recent advice on the Group’s exclusive 30-year distribution deal to supply REC Cosmetics (Shanghai) Ltd with a range of the Group’s Lubatti products.
In January 2015, Simmons & Simmons advised Venture Life on an exclusive 30-year distribution deal with REC Cosmetics (Shanghai) Limited (‘REC’), a subsidiary of Gialen Group Co. Ltd (‘Gialen’) and one of the largest skincare and cosmetics retail chains in China, with over 1,000 of its own stores in the Mainland.
Under the terms of the distribution agreement, REC has the exclusive right to sell an initial range of 15 skincare products under the Lubatti brand, including some products from Venture Life’s anti-ageing range, in China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Venture Life will now be the exclusive manufacturer and supplier to REC for all current and any future products under the agreement.
UK corporate partner Charles Mayo led the team on this transaction, assisted by partner and head of Simmons & Simmons IP Agency Beijing, George Chan, Shanghai-based commercial IP specialist Xun Yang, and UK associate Jack Simmons.
Commenting on the transaction, Charles Mayo said: "we have been working closely with Venture Life Group for the past few years now supporting the development of their business internationally. These transactions will enable Venture Life to achieve further momentum in the growth of its international sales."
Notes to editors:
- We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
- Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp.
- Simmons & Simmons is recognised worldwide as a pre-eminent law firm for Life Sciences. Our international team advises many of the world’s leading pharma, biotech, medical device and healthcare companies, including: many of the largest global pharmaceutical companies, some of the world’s fastest growing biotechs, leading medical devices manufacturers, private and public healthcare establishments and service providers and household names in consumer healthcare. The life sciences group comprises over 120 lawyers (many with bioscience and pharma law qualifications), dedicated sector analysts and external industry consultants. Our lawyers are active members of, and frequently consulted by, industry associations around the world.
- Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com.
- In April 2014 Simmons & Simmons advised Venture Life Group plc in relation to its acquisition of Biokosmes and the subsequent listing of Venture Life on London’s AIM.
- Gialen is a privately owned business with 10,000 employees operating in over 1,000 of its own retail skincare and cosmetics stores across mainland China. Gialen is currently undertaking a rapid new store opening programme and over 300,000 customers currently visit their stores daily.
- For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3962 or at email@example.com.