Firm Expands Launching IP Agency (Beijing)
01 Sep 2014
International law firm Simmons & Simmons expands with the launch of a specialist trade mark practice in China.
The launch takes place as of today (01 September) with the arrival of Dr. George Chan, who joins the firm from Rouse as a new partner* and will be seconded to lead the new agency.
The expansion recognises Simmons’ long term commitment to Asia, providing a valuable offering in direct response to client needs.
George specialises in the formulation, implementation and management of multinational clients' IP portfolios in China and the Asia-Pacific region. He has particular experience in the regulatory approval requirements for drugs; trade secrets protection; trade mark and patent prosecution; negotiation and drafting of IP agreements; IP enforcement; and domain name dispute resolution.
Davis Wang, Country Head - China, commented: “China is central to the firm's growth strategy and this new specialist agency, along with George’s arrival, is part of our commitment to build upon and develop our strengths in trademarks and brands in the region.”
David Stone, who leads Simmons & Simmons’ global brands and trade mark practice commented: “China is one of the world’s fastest-growing markets. Our new IP agency in Beijing allows us to represent clients directly before the Chinese trade mark authorities, providing real and practical benefits for them and their businesses.”
Hans-Hermann Aldenhoff, head of the firm’s international dispute resolution practice, added “this is an endorsement of the strong IP capabilities we can build upon in Asia, and around our network.”
*Subject to standard regulatory approvals.
Notes to editors:
- We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients’ needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
- Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
- To effect this expansion of Simmons & Simmons’ specialist trade mark practice, the firm has established a separate legal entity, Simmons & Simmons (Beijing) Intellectual Property Agency Company Limited (the IP Agency) which is permitted by Chinese regulations to provide a range of intellectual property related services.
- Visit our website at simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at elexica.com
- For further information, please contact Heather McMaster, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3962