Pro Bono Work Win
13 Dec 2012
Simmons & Simmons Advises Christian Aid on Double Success for Las Pavas Territory
Simmons & Simmons has advised international charity Christian Aid on its Las Pavas territory dispute in Colombia on a pro bono basis. In October and November 2012, the State Institute of Rural Development declared that Las Pavas, Colombia territory was not property of the palm companies following more than six years of fighting by the farmers´ families.
The two wins are the result of Christian Aid partner PDPMM work and the support of national and international organisations.
The Simmons & Simmons team was led by Pro Bono partner Richard Dyton, assisted by supervising associate Anouska Perram.
Commenting on the transaction, Richard Dyton, said: ‘‘This success brings the Las Pavas farmers a step closer to the legalisation of their ownership and land restitution. The advice we gave demonstrates the commitment our firm has in helping meet the legal needs of disadvantaged people in communities globally.”
This builds on the firm’s pro bono support of marginalised populations winning back the right to their land. Another recent pro bono success for the firm was a legal ruling in Tanzania in favour of the Masai people following a dispute with tour operators.
Notes to editors:
1. We are a leading international law firm with fully integrated teams working through offices in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and bring experienced professionals to some of the most active growth markets today. Our focus on a small number of sectors means we are able to understand and respond to our clients needs. Our industry sectors are: Asset Management & Investment Funds, Energy & Infrastructure, Financial Institutions, Life Sciences and Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT). We have a track record for innovation and delivering value to clients through new ways of working.
2. Simmons & Simmons is an international legal practice carried on by Simmons & Simmons LLP and its affiliated practices. Accordingly, references to Simmons & Simmons mean Simmons & Simmons LLP and the other partnerships and other entities or practices authorised to use the name “Simmons & Simmons” or one or more of those practices as the context requires. The word “partner” refers to a member of Simmons & Simmons LLP or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications or to an individual with equivalent status in one of Simmons & Simmons LLP’s affiliated practices. For further information on the international entities and practices, refer to www.simmons-simmons.com/legalresp
3. Visit our website at www.simmons-simmons.com or our award-winning online legal service at www.elexica.com.
4. Simmons & Simmons is a signatory of the Pro Bono Protocol which was developed jointly by LawWorks and the Bar Pro Bono Unit. It defines the way in which pro bono work should be delivered and is a quality standard for such work.
5. Christian Aid works in some of the world's poorest communities in around some 50 countries at any one time. We act where there is great need, regardless of religion, helping people to live a full life, free from poverty. We provide urgent, practical and effective assistance in tackling the root causes of poverty as well as its effects. For more information about the work of Christian Aid visit christianaid.org.uk.
6. For further information, please contact Sarah Cannon, Senior Communications & PR Executive on +44 20 7825 3962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org