Simmons & Simmons’ Asset Management Litigation Group provides specialist advice to investment and fund managers across the globe. The group is aligned with the firm’s market-leading global asset management and investment practice and advises on a breadth of complex contentious issues within the sector. The group looks to provide clients with the benefits of a profound understanding of the sector and a wealth of experience.
We have a specialist team dedicated to managing disputes involving complex and cross jurisdictional asset management issues. That team has extensive experience of acting for various global institutions, investment funds and fund managers in disputes involving, amongst other things, enforcement and default issues in the financial markets (in particular, in relation to structured products, commodities and derivatives), alleged breaches of duty, contentious regulatory issues, investigations (including FCA and overseas regulators), and reputation management.
- risk management advice
- litigation, arbitration and mediation for funds, fund managers, liquidators and other parties, including the co-ordination of off-shore litigation
- contentious regulatory advice
- white collar crime
- partnership disputes
- commodity disputes
- defamation and reputation management.
Recent Highlights include:
- advising a hedge fund appointed as the representative respondent for a class of client money creditors in the first representative directions application issued in the Special Administration of MF Global UK Limited
- advising a hedge fund before the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom in its successful defence of a Court of Appeal judgment in relation to the status of client monies in the Lehman administration
- advising a fund on a successful High Court application issued by the Administrators of Lehman relating to the status of post administration assets
- advising a institutional asset manager on potential claims and complaints relating to the suitability of a poorly performing investment within portfolios
- acting for a LLP on the successful defence of a High Court claim for damages alleging unfair prejudice
- advising a hedge fund in relation to a winding-up petition in Cayman and securing the withdrawal of the petition
- advising a hedge fund in relation to the defence of a derivative action in Guernsey
- advising fund and asset managers on Madoff-related liabilities and actions in the UK and offshore
- defending a petition for winding-up a fund in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands
- advising fund managers on market abuse/insider dealing allegations
- advising fund managers on FSA investigations
- advising fund and asset managers on liability issues arising from restructurings, including investor claims.